Who pays conveyancing fees during divorce?

now these posters have made me realize that each party usually pays their own fees

They certainly do in regular property purchases, however, divorces I'd imagine are a different animal and it'll often be the person who wants it most will end up paying both sides.

They certainly do in regular property purchases, however, divorces I'd imagine are a different animal and it'll often be the person who wants it most will end up paying both sides.
Ill be paying for a service for another party indirectly. I can't even avail of the usual consumer rights due to the fact that I am not dealing directly with the vendor. It just seems to me like I have to take a lot of things at face value without seeing the true value or cost .Is there is a facility for me to be able to complain or get a refund if the service is flawed ? This it seems is just the way things in court cases go i.e. lots of blind faith on costs .

Last edited:
Ill be paying for a service for another party indirectly. I can't even avail of the usual consumer rights due to the fact that I am not dealing directly with the vendor.

That is standard across any similar third party payments. Your ex is their solicitor's client, they pay the bill and so they are entitled to the standard protections that apply. You have simply agreed to pay your ex the amount that they have agreed to pay their solicitor.

That is standard across any similar third party payments. Your ex is their solicitor's client, they pay the bill and so they are entitled to the standard protections that apply. You have simply agreed to pay your ex the amount that they have agreed to pay their solicitor.
So you are saying in theory I could ask for their proof of payment first rather than be invoiced directly from the other aides solicitor?

So you are saying in theory I could ask for their proof of payment first rather than be invoiced directly from the other aides solicitor?

Talk to your solicitor, the bill will likely be sent to them to resolve. But if you're just out to play games, prepare to have the whole purchase fall through.

"|Ill be paying for a service for another party indirectly. I can't even avail of the usual consumer rights due to the fact that I am not dealing directly with the vendor. It just seems to me like I have to take a lot of things at face value without seeing the true value or cost .Is there is a facility for me to be able to complain or get a refund if the service is flawed ? This it seems is just the way things in court cases go i.e. lots of blind faith on costs .

So you are saying in theory I could ask for their proof of payment first rather than be invoiced directly from the other aides solicitor? "

As a practising solicitor.....

Is this what happened?

You did a Separation Agreement? House , owned by both, subject to a mortgage is to be transferred into your sole name? Subject to the mortgage?

You agreed to pay the costs associated with that.

So- following on from the the Divorce, the practical details have to be attended to?

The property is to be transferred into your sole name? You will take sole responsibility for the mortgage?

And the other party will transfer their interest and be released from the mortgage?

And you end up with the property in your sole name, and you are solely responsible for the mortgage?

Am I in the right general area so far?

So- at that stage, you have your proof? The deal is done?

Now tell us this- how much is the ex's solicitor charging your ex? Or asking to be paid by you?

And , in the end of the day, if you are unhappy with:

a) the advice your solicitor gave you- you can complain to the Law Society and sue in negligence.
b) Refuse to pay the costs associated with the transfer into your sole name- and elongate and aggravate the situation a 100 times more!

Let it go.

mf

"|Ill be paying for a service for another party indirectly. I can't even avail of the usual consumer rights due to the fact that I am not dealing directly with the vendor. It just seems to me like I have to take a lot of things at face value without seeing the true value or cost .Is there is a facility for me to be able to complain or get a refund if the service is flawed ? This it seems is just the way things in court cases go i.e. lots of blind faith on costs .

So you are saying in theory I could ask for their proof of payment first rather than be invoiced directly from the other aides solicitor? "

As a practising solicitor.....

Is this what happened?

You did a Separation Agreement? House , owned by both, subject to a mortgage is to be transferred into your sole name? Subject to the mortgage?

You agreed to pay the costs associated with that.

So- following on from the the Divorce, the practical details have to be attended to?

The property is to be transferred into your sole name? You will take sole responsibility for the mortgage?

And the other party will transfer their interest and be released from the mortgage?

And you end up with the property in your sole name, and you are solely responsible for the mortgage?

Am I in the right general area so far?

So- at that stage, you have your proof? The deal is done?

Now tell us this- how much is the ex's solicitor charging your ex? Or asking to be paid by you?

And , in the end of the day, if you are unhappy with:

a) the advice your solicitor gave you- you can complain to the Law Society and sue in negligence.
b) Refuse to pay the costs associated with the transfer into your sole name- and elongate and aggravate the situation a 100 times more!

Let it go.

mf
appreciate the input by yourself and all others, please close it up

If it helps I have just paid 1300 in conveyancing fees to remove my ex from title deeds and mortgage. We both paid our family law solicitors separately and then i employed the conveyancing solicitor for the rest. Exes solicitor just charged him for her letters and calls etc but the transfer was paid by myself. Hope that helps.

Back