Who is the Lord Mayor of Dublin and what do they do?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was speaking to some friends over the weekend and none of us could name the current Lord Mayor or any recent ones. We knew that John Gormley had been the Lord Mayor years ago because he went about on a bike. Sean D Dublin Bay Gay Rights Rockall Loftus was another one.

Without looking it up, can anyone name the Lord Mayor? Please don't post the answer here as I want to see if people know the name without prompting.

What's their function? Can they be made relevant?

I know that there is a plan to have a new Lord Mayor for Dublin as a whole but I presume they will have a different role.

Sean D Dublin Bay Gay Rights Rockall Loftus was another one.

He's the last one I can remember - I'm not from Dublin though so a bit less relevant.

What's their function? Can they be made relevant?

Something like €1000 unreceipted expenses per week in recent history - maybe they still even get it?

You would need to be pretty relevant for that in my book

Wasn't Sir Royston of Brady the main man a couple of years back?

Just had a quick look - very interesting article here with a funny comment by David Norris at the end.

Is it not decided on a rotation basis so all the sponges can have a turn?
Looking at the mayors over the years I'd swear you must be married to, a relation of, or in love with a TD to get the job.
This year's mayor meets 1 of those requirements, possibly the 2 if you include the latter.

I know the name of the current Lord Mayor, but I wont say.

He/She is regularly in the paper opening envelopes and performing other important tasks.

The Lord Mayor is a amember of Dublin City Council and is voted on an annual basis by the members of the council and is the titular head of the council but I am unaware of any powers or role that they have, above other councillors.

VOr has a point, the political parties rotate the role and usually choose someone whose profile is being improved to move them into national politics,

Actually, VOR, MEP is the role coveted this year, not TD, or so the rumours go.

Aren't they in effect the Chairman of the City Council at meetings etc?. I think they also open the live crib at the Mansion House and anything else that needs opening and is deemed not important enough for a photo-shoot for a Minister

Plays a crucial role in leading the Saint Patricks Day parade. God knows where those US marching bands could end up if the Lord Mayor wasn't out in front in the ceremonial carriage :eek: !

I know the name of the current one, and her predecessor who was an unsuccessful candidate in the last EU elections

I know its a woman as saw her on News last night talking about the regeneration of the Smithfield square od dublin but cannot remember her name

The Lord Mayor (Dublin and some of the other cities) or Cathoirleach (for most of the county councils) is the chair of the council for their year. For the larger councils, it turns a part time role (councillor) into effectively a full-time role. A lot of it is indeed PR, but don't blame the politicians for that. They only go to events where they are invited.

Aren't we getting an elected Mayor soon?

This will not replace the Lord Mayor of Dublin. The elected Mayor is proposed to have an overseeing role above the Mayors of the 4 Dublin local authorities. A bit like taking the HSE's failed model of administration and imposing it on the greater Dublin area. I assume that this is part of a plot by rural politicians to handicap Dublin.

This will not replace the Lord Mayor of Dublin. The elected Mayor is proposed to have an overseeing role above the Mayors of the 4 Dublin local authorities. A bit like taking the HSE's failed model of administration and imposing it on the greater Dublin area. I assume that this is part of a plot by rural politicians to handicap Dublin.

So Dublin will have 5 Mayors !!!

This will not replace the Lord Mayor of Dublin. The elected Mayor is proposed to have an overseeing role above the Mayors of the 4 Dublin local authorities.

Now I'm confused. So who gets the chariot? The mayor of Dublin corpo (I am guessing that it is that mayor who gets the goodies at the mo) or the new uber-mayor?

Now I'm confused. So who gets the chariot? The mayor of Dublin corpo (I am guessing that it is that mayor who gets the goodies at the mo) or the new uber-mayor?

Bertie has a state car so it won't be an issue ;) :p

With Owen Keegan the un-elected Lord Mayor of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown scary thought...

With Owen Keegan the un-elected Lord Mayor of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown scary thought...
Not sure if this is serious or a jibe - but just to clarify, Keegan is county manager (i.e. the executive CEO for DLR), not Cathoirleach.

Back