Who can call themselves doctor?

Squonk

I've met a dentist recently who calls himself doctor. I've also met a psychologist who call himself doctor. Neither have PhDs or Medical Degrees. Is it proper for them to advertsise themselves as doctors?

A dentist is allowed to call themselves doctor, it's part of their degree. Not sure about the psychologist.

A psychologist can only call themselves doctor if they hold a doctorate.
Medical doctors are so called because they doctor to people.

Well there are other types of [broken link removed]

Anyone can call themselves a doctor if they have a doctorate from a university. It is just that some universities (none in Ireland) don't care who they give them to.

A psychologist can only call themselves doctor if they hold a doctorate.
Is this a matter of law or of professional convention? Presumably, I can easily get around either if I purchase a $100 doctorate online?

Correct. There are a few websites that will sell you a legal doctorate online. There are loads of legitimate churches in the United States that will give you a Doctorate in Divinity for a small fee. All legal. I know of one person that purchased a doctorate so he could blag free upgrades on flights.

Is there anything to stop you naming your child "Doctor Joe".....if Prince & Princess are allowed, I don't see why not!!

Save a fortune on college fees!!

Very Good!

On a serious note, you have a common law right to call yourself what ever you want so long as it is not used to deceive or defraud anyone. I could see no problem changing ones name to Doctor James, Doctor being a first name and James being the middle name provided you did not attempt to pass yourself off as a real doctor.

I know of one person that purchased a doctorate so he could blag free upgrades on flights.

Why bother with the purchase? I'm sure the check-in girl doesn't want to look at your scrolls? (Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge). Why not just book all your flights as 'Doctor'?

The way it works is he got his UK passport changed so that it included the title Doctor.
The UK is one of the few countries that allow the use of titles on their passports.

So I'm still confused. Assuming the dentist and psychologist do not hold a doctorate (PhD) this means they can't call themselves doctor. Is that correct?

They can call themselves what ever they want.

Normally these types of people use it as a courtesy title.

The scenario ........ said "doctor" on flight from Dublin to LAX. Intercom announcement "Could a doctor make himself known please". Your man presses the overhead button .............. . Can anyone add the next few sentences.

So I'm still confused. Assuming the dentist and psychologist do not hold a doctorate (PhD) this means they can't call themselves doctor. Is that correct?

Correct, they likely have a PhD - a lot of dentists do. Its theoretically possible they may also have a PhD in a subject other than dentistry, psychology.

Actually dentists can in the UK. I am not sure what the situation is in Ireland but in the UK the right for dentists to call themselves doctors was granted back in the 1990's by General Dental Council. They have to use the terms 'dentist', 'dental practicioner' or 'dental surgeon' in close proximity though. Some dentists use the title, others don't. As far as I know this is the situation in alot of countires.

Having just looked it up, it appears that they can't do this in Ireland so they can only use the title Dr if they have the qualification.

Last edited: