White Collar Crime

Sunny

Why are these guys not looking at a lengthy prison sentence? As far as I concerned, they are no better than any common criminal especially with regard to their employees income tax and PRSI liabilities.

[broken link removed]

Seems like if you wear a nice suit, you get treated differently.

agree also...i started a thread on this very topic yesterday in this forum. it's unreal that they are'nt doing jail time.

they've had restrictions placed on them in their roles as company directors....I presume you don't get that slapped against your name if you've been doing everything by the law

If they were in prison they could open a "Banged up Cafe".

In fairness, though, if tax evasion was a crime punishable by prison, the streets would be very quiet. And there'd be plenty of work to go around for those who were left.

Hmmm...........

Our entire legal system needs a complete reform. Corporate crime is brought before the courts all the time and the prosecutions and the convictions handed down are comparable to a slap on the wrist. Strict prison sentences need to be introduced by the courts. Legislation exists for them, but the Judges for some reason do not see "White Collar Crime" as a serious offence.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
The financial institutions who gave them the credit card limits are also to blame here though. They should have been monitoring this a bit better etc.

As for the €477,000 owed to the Revenue...the Revenue should come down on them like bricks for this money. if others are going to jail for the non-payment of ESB bills then these boys should get the same treatment.

The financial institutions who gave them the credit card limits are also to blame here though. They should have been monitoring this a bit better etc.

Sorry, but how can you blame the banks for this? We don't live in a Nanny State. How would you like your credit card company ringing you up everytime you buy something to ask you if you are sure you really should do that. They paid the credit card bills. The problem is that they used company funds as a personal slush fund. That's not the banks problem.

How can they charge all these personal expenses to their credit cards?

We have a small company and have been told by our accountant not even to charge a business lunch/dinner never mind expensive suits from Brown Thomas and holidays to the business?

I referred to the financial institutions (which may be banks) who gave them the credit cards. They should have been monitoring the usage particularly when it was known the individuals were in trouble. In any case, I couldn't care less about the cc issuers...they charge a high interest rate specificially against this unsecure risk. The main issue I have is with the amount owed to us the taxpayer