Whingers giving out about Ryanair

Caveat

It's not exactly news but when will this ever end?

What makes me laugh is the phrase "...the last time I ever fly with Ryanair" comes up so often - implying that Ryanair suited them just fine up to that point.

Given that they make absolutely no bones about being a "no frills" airline, (in fact they practically make a virtue of it) that the dogs on the street know about their strict baggage allowances, that you are probably the sort of person who needs parental supervision on flights if you don't realise that most of their airports are not exactly convenient, that they are, lets not forget, cheap and generally run on time...

What exactly is the problem?

I honestly think that a lot of this stems from gleeful criticism of their every move by some frankly xenophobic and jealous sections of the British media.

The Daily mail is a particular culprit - a recent feature reported how "Ryanair dumps passengers on wrong island - told to make their own way"

In reality, due to a thunderstorm the plane had to land on Fuerte rather than Lanzarote. The ferry couldn't run until the next day due to the weather, all passengers could avail of receipted expenses for overnight hotel stays and get free ferry the next day - and Ryanair don't even operate from Fuerte hence the lack of a 'welcome party' there which some irate passengers seemed to think was essential.

I know when things go wrong people get annoyed - fair enough but reporting like this is dreadful. Nothing new though.

God the Daily Mail is bad - it's like The Sun without breasts but with added jingoism.

I don't love Ryanair or anything but I'm certainly glad they exist and they don't deserve half the flak they get IMO.

Even when they do, many other airlines are generally no better, but cost more.

I'm glad they exist solely to drive market prices down. Where I have a choice I ALWAYS go with the alternate airline.

I just don't get it - I have flown with RA many times. Whats the problem? You know what you're getting. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
They have contributed to a reduction in prices which can only be a good thing.
Their Efficiency is pretty good. An example being, a contractor I know used them every Monday and every Friday to the UK and back for about 10 months. That works out at "about" 80 flights or so - ONCE he got delayed by 4 hours in the entire 10 months. Its hard to complain about that in my opinion.
If you don't want to pay 5e for a sandwich, then don't!
Most people who use RA don't complain about them (that much) he he.

I'm glad they exist solely to drive market prices down. Where I have a choice I ALWAYS go with the alternate airline.

I recently booked flights to Manchester and chose AL as there was as small (very) price differential. I'm sorry I did it now because there is a chance I might get caught up in strike action.

Next time I'll go Ryanair - like I always do and have never had a complaint.

I would just love to know where people got their expectations from?

Its not like RA ever pretended to be anything but a no frills airline. They get you from A to B without the 20 tonne suitcase some poeple HAVE to bring with them on every trip.

I never travelled so lightly until i started flying with RA and i love it. On to the plane, off the plane, no waiting for baggage to come through and out the airport door.

I also would not have taken half the weekend city breaks if flying with AL. I have seen and enjoyed some places i never even heard off before RA came along.

I agree that people who complain that they had to pay over the odds for a crappy sandwich on the flight or had to get a train from the airport to the city centre it was so far out, are missing the point of a budget airline.

However, the last time I flew with Ryanair they were shambolic. The flight was delayed and we had to queue for over 2 hours past the correct time to check in and, at the last minute, they moved the check in desk so the people at the front of the queue (the ones who had been waiting for 2 hours) were pushed back by people who had just arrived. Once we had gone through security, there was absolutely no information whatsoever about a flight that was 6 hours behind schedule (due to a problem at Dublin Airport) and there was no Ryan Air representative around to talk to.
The previous time I flew with them, their on line check in facility wasn't working and everyone was still charged for checking in at the airport. It is this type of thing that drives me mad about Ryanair and makes me reluctant to choose them unless they are substantially cheaper than the alternative.

I believe the airport 'security' is far worse than Ryanair.

I know what to expect with Ryanair. I don't expect any frills, all I'm buying is transport from A to B. Just like a bus. I also know about the cabin baggage limits, and I adapt to this, by customising my cabin bag.

However, much as I like Ryanair and admire Michael O Leary, I would far prefer to travel by train when the opportunity arises. This is largely due to the addition hassle of airport 'security'.

Ryanair is an Irish success story. (Unlike the failure of a government we are stuck with)

So do I. That's why I choose to use other carriers.
I'm pleased that you do. Ryanair won't have to increase their prices to accommodate people with high expectations.

However, the last time I flew with Ryanair they were shambolic. The flight was delayed and we had to queue for over 2 hours past the correct time to check in and, at the last minute, they moved the check in desk so the people at the front of the queue (the ones who had been waiting for 2 hours) were pushed back by people who had just arrived.

I'm not trying to be smart here but I do wonder why people feel the need to queue before the gates open.

The flights don't leave whilst you're at the back of the queue.

I do think that seat assignment wouldn't slow down the loading process but in the absence of that what's the point in being first on the plane unless you have small children.

I always just get on at the end and nothing bad ever happens me!

I'm not trying to be smart here but I do wonder why people feel the need to queue before the gates open.

The flights don't leave whilst you're at the back of the queue.

I do think that seat assignment wouldn't slow down the loading process but in the absence of that what's the point in being first on the plane unless you have small children.

I always just get on at the end and nothing bad ever happens me!

She is talking about checking in not waiting for the gates to open.

I would say I have used RA about a dozen times over the last decade or so, and have never had any problems. Missed a flight once but it was my own fault.

Its like anything else, the angry minority are always heard and make things sound worse that they are. If you are a satisfied customer you are not going to call phone-ins, post on forums, write to papers etc.

Only thing I don't agree with is their dodgy figures for arriving on time (complete with the lovely trumpet noise). I have found that if you fly with them their flight times are usually a lot longer than what it actually takes, so there's very little chance the plane will be late. If you fly out of NI to London for example, its approx 1hr or 1hr 10min flight, but they say on the schedule its a 1:45 or 2hr flight. So always going to be on time really.

She is talking about checking in not waiting for the gates to open.

My bad, I'll have to start another thread to find out why a majority of people will stand in line for up to an hour to get on a plane with enough seats for everyone that won't leave without anyone.

I reckon a lot of poeple think they are clever by queuing and not paying the priority boarding fee - as you said, there is enough room for everybody.

My bad, I'll have to start another thread to find out why a majority of people will stand in line for up to an hour to get on a plane with enough seats for everyone that won't leave without anyone.
Here are a few reasons:
- Some people like to have a seat near the exit, so that they can make a hasty dash once the plane has landed. They might have another flight to catch and every minute counts.
- Last flight I was on there was a bloke that didn't have enough room for his cabin baggage and ended up having to get it checked on.
- People travelling together want seats together.
- Some people prefer a window, others prefer an aisle.
- Sitting down waiting or standing in the queue - what difference does it make? Might as well wait in the queue.

i try not to fly Ryanair because I just simply love a bit more comfort during a flight but when it's too expensive or no airline flies the route, then Ryanair it is ... I don't whinge though, they don't pretend to be something else than cattle wagons so what?

Yes there is room for everybody. But perhaps it is worth getting on early to grab some space in the overhead bins or to increase the chances of your group sitting together or to minimise the chance of getting the last seat along side the 25 stone guy with the flatulence problem ??

I fly with ryanair regularly and have never yet had a problem (fingers crossed) and I will continue to do so until they let me down.
If you stick to their rules rigidly and keep aware of any changes in their policies they will bring you to your chosen destination cheaply and on time.
If you want the frills choose another airline

What makes me laugh is the phrase "...the last time I ever fly with Ryanair"

The Daily mail is a particular culprit -...

God the Daily Mail is bad - it's like The Sun without breasts but with added jingoism.

Well, thats the last time I ever buy the Daily Mail!

Back