Which vacuum cleaner best buy?

runner

Ive been assigned the domestic vacuum job and need a new machine.
Before the technophobes get going I dont need USB, Wi-Fi , Ethernet wtc:D
What have any of you bought recently , where (south dublin) and price?
Minimum spec is all I need.

Re: Which Vacuum best Buy?

Goblin Topo 1400W, reusable bag, compact €54 in Tesco the other day. Similar models in Argos for about the same price. Does the business. Must remember to bring my old one back for WEEE recycling before the 15 days is up! Thanks for reminding me...

Thanks Clubman!
Had not considered Tesco, going there today.
Great price too.
Is 1400 watts Ok for light cleaning, but large area?

Ours is a c. 90sqm townhouse all carpeted and it does the business. Because it's a compact the bag needs to be changed more often than a larger machine but they give you two so you can use one while washing out the other. Perhaps a normal sized rather than compact machine would suit you better if you have a larger space to clean? Compactness was important to us for portability (around the house) and storage so we're happy to trade that off against emptying the bag more often. Many of them have reusable bags or a perspex "jug" instead of paper bags these days. Perhaps forced on them by Dyson or something? Argos and Tesco have a number of other models around the €50 mark. DID, Dicount Electrical, Power City and the like probably have some too. I wouldn't pay more than about €50 unless I needed an industrial strength machine to be honest. I bought in Tesco, Jervis Centre as it happens.

Thanks Clubman,
No I would prefer the small profile, and cc capacity not a problem as not much traffic in house! The cheapest I could find on DID site was nearly 100 euro, hence the initial post. Thanks a lot.

I have an Electrolux Mondo, also compact but great power in it even five years later. Bought it in DID in Stillorgan and think I paid about fifty pounds (49.95 perhaps) for it then. Never had any problem with it. That said, if I needed to get a hoover again I would probably try to get one with reuseable bags - the replacement bags can get expensive.

I bought a Philips (Monarch is the model name I think) from DID in Stillorgan 6 months ago. Paid around 150 euros for it. It has similar technology to the Dyson - just empty the cylinder. It's easy to carry / move and I've certainly made good use of it during recent house renovations.

The wife bought a Dyson about 5 years ago which clapped out a few weeks ago - she replaced it with a Morphy Richards ( no bag as with Dyson ) for a third of the price and she reckons it has stronger suction even though the wattage is the same :confused:

VAX all the way!

demoivre said:
The wife bought a Dyson about 5 years ago which clapped out a few weeks ago - she replaced it with a Morphy Richards ( no bag as with Dyson ) for a third of the price and she reckons it has stronger suction even though the wattage is the same :confused:

Janet said:
I have an Electrolux Mondo, also compact but great power in it even five years later. Bought it in DID in Stillorgan and think I paid about fifty pounds (49.95 perhaps) for it then. Never had any problem with it. That said, if I needed to get a hoover again I would probably try to get one with reuseable bags - the replacement bags can get expensive.
My mother reuses the disposable paper bags a few times by opening the bag at the opposite end from the nozzle and slipping one of those slide on paper binders spines (if you know what I mean) over the folded end to create a seal that can be opened to empty the contents!

demoivre said:
For what it's worth Goblin is seemingly a Morphy Richards brand too.

Tesco were also selling the [broken link removed] but were out of them when I dropped in so I just got the [broken link removed] instead.

We had a dyson cylinder for 18 months now. Great suction - needs the filter cleaning fairly often - but no bags and 2 yr parts labour guarantee.
We got it off Amazon uk - and it was about 160€.

tried Tesco Dundrum today, but the 'special offers' vacs were all gone:(
Will try some of the other good suggestionsmade here, or if anyone knows a tesco branch that has some, southside?
thanks all.

Hi Runner,

You will see here that I'm a big Nilfisk fan. Dunnes had a special offer on them a short while ago. Can't remember exactly how much they were but seemed good value.

have a Nilfisk for £79.95 (under special offers) and its 1600 w.

I used to empty the bags and restaple them before I stopped using them altogether in my very old Nilfisk.

Come to think of it Dunnes (at least the one in the ILAC) were doing a special on the Morphy Richards POD mentioned above or something similar in case that's of any use. Not sure about price though.

Hi

We bought a Nilfisk King a few years ago and have no complaints - although it is more expensive than a lot of others we bought Nilfisk on the strenght of the fact that my mothers is still going strong after 20 years!! Also it is easy to get new parts if required.

hi there, i have a dyson dco5 and its the best i ever had. 5 years old now and never had any prob with it. great suction and with 5 children ..... its always going!!

I had a cheapo model (no modern fancy stuff attached) from Power City for which I paid £40IR years ago; it just gave up last week. Off I went to DID (who have great all round offers btw). I bought a Morphy Richards model reduced to half price for €89 with the fancy filters, extendable hose, and bagless! It seems all a bit of a fuss and bother this emptying and cleaning of filters and jug thingy..... I chose it because it was light to carry around, and I knew I'd never be stuck for a bag again! I've always dreamed of owning a Dyson, but they are so heavy it put me off.
I wish my old hoover was still with me.
;)
Ruth

Back