Which Netbook for travels?

karlod

Hi

Im going away for a while doing a bit of back packing and I want to get a netbook to take with. As I don’t know to much about them and which are good and bad I thought id pick your brains about the good bad and ugly.
Really its just for email/Internet, uploading pics and music and general adhoc stuff. Not looking to run and major apps on it (maybe photoshop).
Can anybody help; makes models, things to look out for and other info?
Also, when would be best to buy, before or after Christmas (im heading late jan)

Thanks
Karl

Hi,

I am using a Samsung NC10 which runs XP. I find it great - I have it about 6 months now.

Its light, has a 10" screen, a good keyboard and has a battery life of about 7hrs. I bought mine from Argos for €379 but if you shop around I'm sure it will be cheaper now.

Last edited:
The Samsung N110 (reviewed here) is the king of the netbook hill. It has an 11-hour light use battery life.

If your budget is tight and you can live with slightly less impressive battery life, the Dell outlet site is currently selling off Mini 10 netbooks at . I picked one up (with Windows XP and a 160GB hard drive) for €207 incl. delivery and VAT. Popped Windows 7 onto it and it runs like a dream. :)

See [broken link removed] on Boards.ie.

But for its battery life (and certain other features), yes, the Samsung looks to be the biz.

I also have the Samsung NC10 and am very pleased with it. The only thing that gets me is the small touchpad, but as I am a mouse person I don't use it a lot.

Thanks everybody.

Ive heard about the samsung one. 11 hour battery???? Brilliant!! Its at the price i want to pay. Might look into it more.
What about XP versus Window 7? Should i look for the later OS, will it make any difference?

Back