Which internet browser is the best?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox some years ago. I never bothered checking out Google Chrome or even in checking how IE might have improved since I abandoned it.

I did a search to see how they compare with each other, but didn't find anything useful and independent.

As they are free, I suppose I can play with them and see which I like best, but is there some, more systematic, evaluation available?

What should I look for?
Ease of use
Security ( I wouldn't be able to evaluate that)
Speed - doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
Interaction with other programs e.g. Word, Thunderbird etc.
Do all sites work with all browsers by now? This used to be a problem for Firefox.

I have just noticed on Chrome that it does not seem to be compatible with the software I use for managing two monitors. I can't switch this over to the other monitor with just one click.

I use Chrome at work and at home, its my favourite anyway. It feels quite light and nimble, especially WRT tabbing. I find FF quite cumbersome in that regard. IE will always be pants IMO. Safari is Apple's offering which I will never use to my adversity to anything Apple.

Not sure what you mean about "one click" to move between two monitors , I have two monitors at work and can drag a Chrome window between the two, as for any other programme.

Not sure what you mean about "one click" to move between two monitors , I have two monitors at work and can drag a Chrome window between the two, as for any other programme.

I use a piece of software, Ultramon, which makes it much easier.

On the top right hand side, where there is the minimise, maximise, and exit buttons, it provides an extra button on almost all packages. One click just moves it instantly. There is another button which spreads the image across both screens. I don't use that however.

brendan

I put Chrome on some time ago, but soon took it off again as it interfered with some of my programmes. I have a fairly old machine. I wonder if it is not back-compatible and suited only to newer set-ups.
I have both Firefox and IE running on the same machine; IE is much slower but more reliable in that there are fewer updates. Firefox updates come thick and fast and some updates affect my ability to log in on ROS.

I use them all Chome, Firefox, and IE 9 and 10.

Handy if you want to log on to different accounts of Gmail, youtube or similar. Not a big fan of these mega corps linking all my accounts.

I find Chrome fantastic. What I like best about it is:

• It's very fast
  • You can create a folder of favourites and open all of the links in 1 go - they all just open as new tabs
  • The address bar is merged with search - just start typing anything in the address bar and it will automatically bring you to the Google Search page with results - no need to open Google directly

I am getting fond of Chrome ok.

I like the integrated search button.

I have my most common bookmarks in the bookmark toolbar as I had with Firefox.

But how do I get the Bookmarks manager onto one click?

In Firefox, I have a Menu Bar - File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools ; so I click on "bookmarks"

In Chrome I have to click on the "customise and control button" and then click on bookmarks. I can get it by Control Shift and o, but I have only two hands. Mind you , it stays as a tab when you open it.

Brendan

I use Firefox almost exclusively. I have been unable to find a stable version of Chrome for OS X, so my other favourites are Safari and Opera (OmniWeb, iCab & SeaMonkey all have their places too.)

I run Windows XP in emulation mode and use MS Internet Explorer with it (painful experience TBH)

I use a dual-monitor set-up but have no extra software to help with it.

But how do I get the Bookmarks manager onto one click?

Hi Brendan,

After I installed Chrome I went to "Customize and control", "Bookmarks" and then to "Import bookmarks and settings..." and selected where I wanted to import them from. They should then appear as a folder called Favourites below the address bar. You can also right-click in this area and create new folders..

Firefly.

OK, I have managed to add something called "other bookmarks" to the bookmarks toolbar. Then I moved the rest of them in there from the Manage Bookmarks option.

Thanks

OK, Chrome and vBulletin don't seem to work well together

The following don't appear in wysiwyg . I see the vBulletin codes
Code:
 [url]  [bold]
etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

BOLD italics

The above was done in Chrome

This was done in Firefox - it shows up as you type it without any distracting codes

[broken link removed]

Locally Stored Objects

I use IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. IE because I'm used to it, which is about the only thing it has going for it. I use Chrome for Google Drive because it has the best compatibility and also because it's handy to be able to be logged in to certain accounts under two different usernames without changing your settings all the time. I only use Firefox because it has a http debugger that I like. Safari on the Apple machines.

I use Safari when using my Apple products and Chrome when on Windows. For Windows users, Chrome is very lean, fast and updates very unobtrusively. The range of plugins and extensions also add to the usability of the browser.

I don't like IE although have it installed for the very, very odd website that doesn't like Chrome. For no earthly reason based in fact, I actively dislike Firefox.

FF is a personal choice as are most browsers.
Chrome is fast bit Google records way too much info on ppl, IMHO.
I use Safari on MAC usually and Trusteer as an extra security layer to protect bank site, etc. (its free from UlsterB and others)
Its the new breed of protection that will superced all the existing anti virus that only partly do the job (again IMHO)

No connection to Trusteer, only longtime user.

http://www.trusteer.com/Products/trusteer-apex