which greek island for families?

tinkerbell

Have got it into my head I would love to visit a Greek island for a week in the summer but want to avoid any ones which attract noisy youths, etc. Our 10 year old will be coming too so any ideas which ones are best for quiet family holiday yet have plenty of things to do and see as well thanks:D

Zakyntos is famly friendly and is mean o be really beautiul.Havent been there myself thogh so couldnt really say. The only greek island ive been to was paros - definately not for families!

We went to Alykanas on Zakythos a few years back. Can't remember the name of the appartments but they were span new at the time. We were slightly outside the village of Alykanas on the Alykes road. Lovely place, we could walk to either village in the evening to try the different resturants. We tourd the island by bus tours and did the boat trip - never again, my lads still won't get on a boat - they went out on windy weather which was close to being dangerous.

Out of 10 - 10.

Do a search for Zakynthos, Alykanas or Alykes.

Zakyntos is famly friendly and is mean o be really beautiul.Havent been there myself thogh so couldnt really say. The only greek island ive been to was paros - definately not for families!

was in zakynthos few years ago. was lovely! prob best resort for families is argassi (other one - can't remember name is a bit busier). we stayed in the [broken link removed] and thought they were very good value for money.

went to Corfu 2 or 3 yrs ago and TBH wouldn't recommend it at all. not a patch on Zakynthos.

Was in Crete a few years back in August, never again, place grand but the temp. was hitting 40 during the day and 30 at night, very uncomfortable

Also had a holiday in Zakynthos a couple of years ago. Perfect spot for a family break.

I stayed in a lovely little hotel (Zante Star - got a great deal on it, 4 star with service above and beyond the expected) a short walk from Zante (the main town on the island, technically, also called Zakynthos but more commonly called Zante, the Island is also called Zante from time to time).

Some brilliant bus tours available (including some overnighters) but plenty to keep you busy on Zante if you don't fancy moving about.

most beautiful island of them all is Santorini and i heard over the weekend that there are direct flights to there from Dublin

Santorini is beautiful, but isnt it very steep and full of rocky and steep paths? Would it be buggy compatable?

good point. there are 2 main towns on the island, kamari, which is extremely friendly and would be buggy compatible, nice family restaurants, no thumping nightclubs, very nice. the other town, which would be worth a day trip is Oya, on top of a cliff, famous for its sunsets where thousands stop and watch for half an hour every night, much less buggy compatible.

thanks so much for all the ideas. Will get a load of brochures and do a bit of research based on those recommendations. Thanks again everyone!

A lot of the tour operators refer to Zakynthos as Zante. Went there three years ago. Perfect for family groups.

i see that xl.com are now flying direct to santorini from dublin

I can highly recommend Zakynthos. Keep away from Laganas though, it the highest order of a kip.
We rented a farm cottage called Logothetis Farm in Vasilikos, magnificent place. Its an actual olive farm in winter but they rent out cottages in the summer. Each house has its own private garden, a free bike for everyone and the guy who owns the farm is a gentleman. He brings the kids horse riding around the farm and you can buy fresh eggs, cheese, fruit and vegetables off him. Three beautiful and fairly empty beaches within walking distance, though we always cycled. Lovely family restaurants in the area. I could go on. Booked on their internet site www.logothetisfarm.gr and got flights from Budget. The children cried leaving and I came home completely relaxed.

Hi,
I am new to this forum. In answer to your question. It would have to be one of the Ionian Islands. I would recommend Lefkas (Lefkada- Greek) or even Kefalonia.
Lefkas is a totally beautiful Island.
It is about 35 miles long attached to the mainland by a bridge.
To get there from Ireland you need to go through Manachester or Gatwick and a charter flight to Preveza (PVK). Airport only twenty mins from Lefkas Town.
I have been to Zakynthos and Kefalonia but Lefkas is much nicer.
Better scenery and more family friendly.
We are building a website/ travel guide to the area and will have a lot more information on it very soon.
David

Crete would be my children's vote and they were 13 and 9 when I brought them there - July / Aug definitely too hot - June was perfect (and I don't want to hear anything about taking them out of school :) )

Back