Which food processor?

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I would like a food processor but am bewildered at the choice available.

My criteria are:

1. I only have a blender. I would ideally like a gadget that will do lots of the chopping, slicing, grating for coleslaws, salads and stirfrys. I don't have a mixer either, so I would like if the same gadget could do cakes and pastry (and possibly bread).

2. Worktop and storage space; I want one that can fit on the worktop without taking over (small kitchen) because if it goes into *that* press it will never be seen again and I would like to get one that has bits and pieces that are easy to store/keep together.

There's a lovely Magimix in the Argos catalogue but it's around 200 euro, whereas there's also a Kenwood job for 100. However, I don't want to spend 100, only to discover it's not really up to the job and never gets used. I'd sooner spend the 200 to begin with.

Thanks
Rebecca

I'd recommend the Magimix 3100 - it'll do bread, pastry, veg, etc. If you want to have a juicer function, then you'll have to move up to the 4100. They're very reliable, and worth the premium.

Hang onto your blender, though, because they're not designed to purée.

Hi there. We have a Philips mixer/blender which does all you want it to do. actually got it as a pressie from my mother in law as she swears by hers...
Apparently shes had it years and couldn't live without it
Will check price and model and get back to you.

I'm on a food mixer hunt also. Can I ask if both/either recommendations chop onions/veg - a job I hate and can't seem to get right?

Thanks.

Save up and then buy a Magimix 5100 or 5200 especially at sale time.

It has an integral small bowl which can be used for small jobs. It's a perfect machine and looks good enough to put on the worktop. It includes a neat box to hold the slicers/choppers that can be stored in a press.

Marion

Thanks for the replies everyone.

After a lot of dithering, I took the plunge over the weekend. I considered the Phillips Cucina (800w, I think) but in the end went with the 900w Kenwood Multipro for €101 in Argos because it has the extra gadgets (and it was white). The Phillips had nicer storage (all the bits fit in the bowl) and was a bit cheaper but wasn't as powerful and the bowl as smaller and felt less sturdy.

I would have liked a Magimix but the 3100 was only 650w and twice the price of the Kenwood and the 5100/5200 was almost three times the price at €275 - €300 and I just couldn't justify that kind of spend when I don't know for sure if I will use it.

The Kenwood has a box for the disks and there is one for doing juliennes as well as the grating and slicing in different thicknesses. There is a mill (which will grind coffee etc.) that can fit inside the liquidiser for storage. Because only one of the applicances fit on at a time (liquidiser/mill/processor bowl), the base is nice and compact and fits on the worktop no problem.

My existing blender already had a small bowl for chopping (actually my existing blender is a great yoke Braun 5550 HCBC and it got me really going in the cooking dept).

Rebecca

I forgot to mention for monkey0804:

One of the main reasons I wanted a food processor was for the chopping/slicing and I can't tell you how much fun it was to make my soup yesterday. 6 carrots, 2 courgettes and 3 parsnips were chopped (slices, juliennes and grated - I was practising) in less than a minute. Onions are sliced no problem but juliennes and grating don't work so well as for other vegetables but fret not - stick them in the bowl with the knife thing and it will blitz them no problem. This would work for any veg if you wanted really tiny bits.

Rebecca

Back