Which first, carpet stairs or wood floor hall?

dickvandyke

Hi all,
Just a quick question, I am getting a new wood floor in the hallway and carpet on the stairs and landing. Which should I get done first to ensure the best finish at the bottom of the last step (where it meets the wood floor)?
Thanks.

Agree with SineWave. A quality wooden floor should outlast a carpet. If you do carpet first, you may not be able to replace it down the line without damaging the wooden floor.

Thanks for the responses, not sure if I get you though.

I am just wondering which I should do first in order to get the tidiest finish at the joint between carpet and wood at the bottom step?

I am thinking I should put the wood floor in first then leave it up to the carpet man to finish it nicely (without need for beading etc.).

Anyone any experience with this? Cheers.

Either way, the quality of the finish will be down to the skill levels of those doing the work, but chances are it'd be easier if the wooden floor is in place first.

put wood down first, otherwise your carpet will be destoryed with all the dust from the cutting of the wood.

hi,

I had the same problem in my house, but had no choice in which went down 1st.

The carpet was layed first and I got the fella to leave it open at the bottom of the stairs, so the fella doing the wooden floor could make a nice tidy job of it.

I must say it is very neat.

Is the skirting already down where you are putting the wooden floor?

Thanks for that, will do the wood floor first so.

Yes there is skirting board there but it will be coming up for the wood floor to go in.