Which Dell Laptop?

audioline

I am in the market for a budget laptop and have decided on dell. I play a lot of poker online so need a stable link. How reliable is wireless technology and what`s the general range(will it reach upstairs and to back garden?). Is wirelass susceptable to intermittant loss of connection? I have Smart Broadband so is this Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 54 Mbps 802.11g, WPA, QoS, 4P switch ok? Here`s the two models I have my eye on, is the centrino worth the extra e100 for better wireless capabilities?

Processor
javascript:winopen('/content/learnm...S,SCROLLBARS=YES,TOOLBAR=YES,LEFT=0,TOP=20');Intel® CentrinoT Mobile Technology with Intel® Pentium® M Processor 745A (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB)

Intel® ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card

Processor
javascript:winopen('/content/learnm...S,SCROLLBARS=YES,TOOLBAR=YES,LEFT=0,TOP=20');Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1.50GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 400MHz FSB)

Dell™ Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI Cardjavascript:winopen('/content/learnm...S,SCROLLBARS=YES,TOOLBAR=YES,LEFT=0,TOP=20');

I'm not sure that the wireless will necessarily be better but the extra €100 is also buying you more overall system speed/performance (Pentium M versus Celeron M, 2MB L2 cache versus 1MB L2 cache etc.).

A suitably configured wireless router and wireless enabled PC/laptop should work fine for your purposes. The range should cover most houses and gardens unless they are particularly big or present certain obstacles to the signal (e.g. very old houses with very thick walls).

I work for DELL haha. Stay away from the Celeron option here. Slow and cumbersome processors they are. Option one will be a dream for you. Wireless is generally NOT susceptible to loss of connection but IS susceptible to hackers. Make sure your wireless option is PASSWORD protected as you don't want a neighbour picking up your broadband.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I thaught as much about the celeron. Incidently I know a guy who knows a guy who claims he can get it minus the V.A.T. He also works for Dell in a roundabout way. Can this also be done if you own a business? What about if you work for yourself ,ie contacting, do you need a V.A.T. number?

PinkFloyd said:
Make sure your wireless option is PASSWORD protected as you don't want a neighbour picking up your broadband.
You want to address more that just that - e.g. encryption - ideally WPA/PSK at a minimum, MAC address filtering, SSID broadcast disable (not really a security measure but may limit the visibility of your network to casual users), changing the password of your router configuration utility, changing your router's channel to avoid neighbouring networks/microwaves/other 2.4GHz gear (use NetStumbler to see what's in the vicinity and then, ideally, choose channel 1, 6 or 11 depending on which is least used) and so on...

Is it possible for those in the know to actually log into your network and use your bandwith for free or possibly do damage/steal or is it just a case of technical voyourism?

Both are possibilities but adequately securing one's wireless LAN should mitigate the chances of them actually happening.

I think the range of the wireless router will be suitable for your purposes and WPA/PSK enabled security with MAC filtering will limit your exposure to all but the most determined of hackers.

However, I would advise either extending Dell's standard 1 year warranty to 3 years or purchasing a different brand. I've had major power issues with a Dell Inspiron, only 3 months beyond the 1 year warranty and it's cost me €400 to repair.

I know it could just be an arberration, but talked recently to a buyer with a medium-sized IT supplier and he says they've stopped recommending Dell laptops to their clients for precisely this reason. Acer are a decent low-cost option.

And if you have a problem outside of your warranty period, Dell do not even want to talk to you ...

Back