Which computer?

Audrey

I need a new home computer (using a laptop currently, that's so old it's slowing down). I only use the computer once or twice a week - keeping track of finances, and some small correspondence. Don't want to hang about for the PC to "warm up" (the laptop takes forever!), so I want a machine that comes on very shortly after I press "on", and with a reasonable quality, but nothing fancy. What should I go for? (I'm not knowledgeable about the computer market).

Get a basic Dell. I did a price check; and for €819 you get:

Dimension 3000

• Intel® Celeron® D processor 320 (2.40GHz, 533FSB, 256k cache) - thats plenty of speed
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition - the industry standard
  • 512MB Dual Channel DDR333 - thats plenty of RAM, important for speed
  • 80GB IDE (7,200rpm) Hard Drive - thats plenty of memory
  • 48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive - you can burn cds/watch dvds
  • 3.5in 1.44MB Floppy Drive - floopy disc
  • 15" Value Flat Panel (E153FP) -thats a flat panal monitor (you know the cool looking ones)
  • Dell A215 speakers - basic speakers
  • Microsoft® Works 7.0 - basic word processor

For more information see http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&id=dimen&l=en&s=dhs

Dell laptops are available from €740 see here

Dell Deminsions 3000 (Desktops) are actually available for €729 & €529 See here

asdfg said:
Dell Deminsions 3000 (Desktops) are actually available for €729 & €529 See here

I was aware of that, but thats the most basic model, in my example I aaded a Flat Screen Monitor, DVD/Rewrite drive, a floppy drive and doubled the hard disk space. 40GB is very low - you can get mp3 players with that much... you may never fill 80GB, but its better to have it than not to.

Was the speed satisfactory when you got it? Being old in itself won't make a computer any slower than it was when you got it, though of course relative to what you can get now it will seem slower.

If it is a case of a computer that has slowed down since you bought it some basic maintenance might help.

a) If you have installed various programs over the years many of which you no longer use try uninstalling some
b) Defragment the hard disk
c) Consider wiping the machine and reinstalling windows and your needed applications (remember to back up your data first)

A hard disk that is close to full will possibly slow the machine down too and new versions of applications that you use may need more processor power or memory so you might still need to upgrade but it might be worth trying the steps above first, they won't cost you anything but a little time.

BTW Despite huge increases in all other areas the boot up time for many new PC's is not much better than older ones. Really old machines might not have stand by/hibernation modes that can be come out of quick but often these are unreliable anyway and can consume extra electricity.

Yeah, sometimes the best treatment is to get rid of everything. Its astounding how much rubbish builds up over the years.