Home Which company for Home Insurance

margaret1

Hi, if people in general shop around for Home Insurance at renewal time, are there any recommendations or comparative sites?
I have spent a few hours trying to compare various policies but there appear to be so many differences and it is difficult to compare the pro's & con's.
I like the option of the Full Bonus Protection on a policy and low excess and in general good cover for all the usual things. Has anyone any recommendations or suggestions of Insurers, particularly good experiences you may have had.
Thank you.

I renewed mine 2 days ago and I always shop around and AIG have been the best price I have got 3 years in a row now.

There are only 4 or 5 parameters that are involved with home/contents insurance, so its pretty easy to compare like for like.

Health insurance is the polar opposite I find!

I've just renewed with An Post Insurance - offering same as others I checked against, but it did come out cheaper than the rest...

This is interesting.. I shop around every year.
There really are about 5 variables when it comes to home insurance.
How is An Post cheaper for one person and AIG for another.
How are there multiple providers in business.
Ok, the house valuations, geographical areas, value of contents, alarm systems may all vary, but still.. how can there be so many providers providing the same cover at such varying prices.

I came to ask the same question as in the OP. I have been with BOI/RSA for the past 4 yrs. I was meant to shop around last year, my fault that I missed the last date and another year went by. Anyway BOI has quoted €550. Zurich quoted €350 with promo code ZUROBS19. An Post has quoted €250 for the similar cover.

Few dumb questions,
1 - rebuild costs - which i know what it is
2 - replacement value of your contents? Should that be everything in the house? Furniture, Electronics, Jewellery etc?
3 - Unspecified Items - What is this and is it already included in no. 2?
4- Specified Items - What is this and is it already included in no. 2?

I also see it mentioned to specify items which are over say €5K. Lets say if I have 5 diamonds which are €2,000 each, total value €10K. should this be specified as one individual piece is 2k (<5K) but the total value of 5 diamonds is over 5K?

PS: No, I don't have diamonds :)

One Big Switch have an offer via Zurich at moment. Lots of extras benefits - for same premium - when we renewed compared to a Zurich policy via KBC.

One Big Switch have an offer via Zurich at moment. Lots of extras benefits - for same premium - when we renewed compared to a Zurich policy via KBC.

The promo code i quoted above is for the same.

ZUROBS19

Aviva provided the best quote for me today but was unable to add a specified item online. Ill try to ring on Tuesday.

Back