Motor Which car insurance companies allow new policy on old cars 10+ years?

Sn@kebite

I was told by a reliable source to be careful buying a car 10yrs or older as some insurance companies dont like to insure older cars

Is this true for a lot of companies and how does it impact me. Ive never owned a car but had a full licence for 9 years so far so no claims, male (30s) and reluctantly considering a car.
What should i expect.

Ive never owned a car but had a full licence for 9 years so far so no claims,...........

It does not work like that, you are not 'claim free' you are history free so you should not look for, nor expect, an NCB.
Unless you have 'named driver experience' which some insurers may take into account.

Why not just ring a broker and ask what's available to suit your needs?

Last edited:
I was told by a reliable source to be careful buying a car 10yrs or older as some insurance companies dont like to insure older cars

Is this true for a lot of companies and how does it impact me. Ive never owned a car but had a full licence for 9 years so far so no claims, male (30s) and reluctantly considering a car.
What should i expect.
It impacts you in so far as it limits the amount of companies that will quote you. So dont bother with the old BMW or big engined car, because as pointed out you have no no-claims bonus.

Ive never owned a car but had a full licence for 9 years so far so no claims
Have you got provable named driving experience for 9 years?
Some insurers will give a discount for named driving, but they won't quote on 10 year old cars. Most will only quote on 10 year old cars for existing customers.

Aviva might quote for older car, but no named driving considered, so expect a quote around 2 - 3k for an average car.

If you've never had insurance in your own name, call a broker. Not an online quote, but actually call them. Talk through options and let them do the hard work.

Would buying a 9 year old car solve your issues, they tend to keep insuring for existing customers. Can't be that much price differential between the 2. Buy a reasonably bullet proof 9 year old car that could last a few years.

Why not just ring a broker and ask what's available to suit your needs?
Is there a bank of brokers to consider? I looked on the other forum (don't know if I'm allowed say the name) and there's a heap of spurious companies to be careful of, I'm sure brokers are the same. I never had this trouble with insurance on my motorcycle. Cars are a different league it seems.

Have you got provable named driving experience for 9 years?
Some insurers will give a discount for named driving, but they won't quote on 10 year old cars. Most will only quote on 10 year old cars for existing customers.

Aviva might quote for older car, but no named driving considered, so expect a quote around 2 - 3k for an average car.

If you've never had insurance in your own name, call a broker. Not an online quote, but actually call them. Talk through options and let them do the hard work.
Gah I was worried about that! I have not had insurance before at all, I rented (enterprise) and used gocar since I've had a license.

Would buying a 9 year old car solve your issues, they tend to keep insuring for existing customers. Can't be that much price differential between the 2. Buy a reasonably bullet proof 9 year old car that could last a few years.
Yeah a 9yo car might do the trick I'm looking at Polo, punto, peugot 207 those types of 1.2L (ish) hatchbacks they seem reliable enough, though the polos are a lot pricier.

Thanks a lot all.

Back