which area of london to stay in

indebtedgal

going to london soon for a weekend. I stayed in the kensington area a few years ago a few mins from gloucester road tube station and location wise it was brill but this time around i don't seem to be getting as much bang for my buck so to speak. I have found a hotel at £220 for the 2 nights but really its only a b&b in a run down building. I wouldn't mind a modern days inn or premier inn or similar. There is a premier inn at earls court but i don't like the idea of earls court. Any suggestions on other areas. BAsically on the fri afternoon want to do kensington high st, harrods etc. Maybe west end fri night. Portobello market on sat morning, would like to visit notting hill, covent garden and be a stones throw from a tube station.

There are a few hotels near Victoria Station that can be reasonable and VS is very handy for tube and airport rail (Gatwick). Google 'hotels near Victoria Station' or check the chain websites. West end is only a few tube stops away. Kensington is nearby.

slim

Last edited:
In recent decades, Bayswater has been good value for "shabby chic" small hotels.

Very close to West End and formerly a wealthy area, many period houses have since been transformed into the above mentioned hotels.

It is somewhat of a red light area now too but don't let that put you off too much - these are a classier form of working girl and the area is actually not seedy looking at all and certainly not drug or crime ridden either.

I've stayed there a few times and it was fine - good value, convenient, quiet.

try staying in the City, rates tend to be a lot lower at weekends then during the week since they are catering for business travellers. You're 5-10 minutes walk from Central/Northern/District/Circle line tubes. Me and Mrs Sox have 2 nights booked in the Club Quarters, Gracechurch for €242 in June. Stayed there before and it's very nice.

the only concern i have with the city is that maybe at weekends there wouldn't be a great lot of cafes etc open but maybe i am just being naive as it would still be busy. Does anyone have any opinions on westminister area..

Me and Mrs Sox have 2 nights booked in the Club Quarters, Gracechurch for €242 in June. Stayed there before and it's very nice.

Try www.londontown.com for some suggestions. The hotel Mpsox mentions is from £59 per night ex tax for a double. That's for the end of May. It's £69 for Friday 11th June.

You should get 4* hotels for about €100 a night.

Last time we went we stayed in a Premier Inn in Euston whichis fairly central. It is right across from Kings Cross train station and close to the tube and if you were a walker you could walk to the west end very straight forward in about 25 mins. I tended to walk in in the evening and get a taxi back which was about 8 pound . It was nice a clean and around 69 pound for a room which had 2 beds so 3 of us stayed and breakfast was extra but we did buy breakfast in the Premier Inn and it was fine a buffet which meant you could eat as much as you liked it had plenty fruit yougarts and bread coffee tea and a cooked breakfast so while it was not fancy it was good value. There are city inns and they are good also