Where's The Great Morality Debate In The Tiger Era

Or anthropology, sociology, zoology, evolutionary theory, ethnography........ at least they are better than wild guesses! And wild generalisations.

PS I think you'll find that reputable psychologists have been very concerned about what goes on in the name of psychology and counselling, in particular False Memory Syndrome, EMDR, and what are known as the Power Therapies. Frank Furedi and Tana Dineen have written very well received books on this. But this is really a discussion for the psychology board - or at least a seperate thread!

> at least they are better than wild guesses! And wild generalisations.

Such as those made by the people who originally wrote the Various Books of the Bible for example.

-Rd

I disagree. I personally consider such beliefs in the face of lack of any supporting evidence to be vestigial reminders of our more primitive past. We have a long way to go yet....

What exactly is the difference between “vestigial reminders of our more primitive past” and “evolutionary”?

You could say, for example, that sex, greed, and aggression are “vestigial reminders of our more primitive past”. However, being human, we’re stuck with them. We can outlaw the harmful forms (rape, theft, war) while encouraging the positive forms (consensual lovemaking, free trade, sport). In the case of religion, we may never be rid of it but may have to handle it in a way that discourages Inquisitions but allows for Sistine chapels.