Where's our postman.

IsleOfMan

Three days this week without post. Yet just before the election we were getting post even on a Saturday, lots of overtime available.

Hate that...you come home then someday and can't get the front door open with all the post.

Three days this week without post. Yet just before the election we were getting post even on a Saturday, lots of overtime available.

Do you live near Blackrock? Due to structural damage to the roof and building of Blackrock Post Office, An Post staff were unable to gain access.

Normal Service was resumed this morning though

I get some of my neighbours (the 2 closest to me) post fairly regularly by accident of the postman and hand them straight over to my neighbours of course.

I have gotten their bank statements, bills, mortgage statements etc all marked private and confidential.

Does this happen to anyone else ? I think 4 times in one year is too much. I find it extremely disturbing and has destroyed my trust about what would happen to my own important mail.

If your postman can get you to deliver your neighbours post then he has one less driveway to walk down every day and so on......

We had a big problem with thefts from our post in work. I'm not saying it was the postman but since we started collecting it from the sorting office the problem has stopped.

we only get post two days a week in Swords - have complained regularly to the Post Master and he just says they don't have the staff so they're limiting the days post is being delivered to our estate (155 houses). real annoying - especially when people are running home offices.

we only get post two days a week in Swords - have complained regularly to the Post Master

This is unacceptable and you should take your complaint to the Communications Regulator.

In the meantime, refer your local postmaster to this page on ComReg's consumer website:

[broken link removed]

Postal Services

What services are An Post required to provide?

As the sole USP, An Post must provide a universal service to everyone and every organisation in the Republic of Ireland. This involves at least one collection and one delivery five days a week of:
  • letters,
  • packages, and
  • parcels up to 20kg in weight.

We were expecting packages a couple of weeks ago here in Lucan that took ages to arrive.

We asked our postie one day and he told us that the packages only get delivered once a week as they don't have the staff - but he kindly sought them out and brought them along to us the next day.

I asked him if there was someone I could complain to and he just said there was no point as the management were well aware of the problems but just don't have the resources to get more staff.

I'm in Swords too and I had that problem to (also parcels were not delivered but just "attempted delivery notes" handed out).

I complained to ComReg and AnPost and told them about the Universal Service Obligations they have (see gonk's very good posting).

I'm happy to say that since 3 weeks now I have daily delivery of mail (well I see some post man 5 days a week) and parcels are actualy delivered.

So maybe your postman has been given to my district....

I'm having the same problem in swords also but think my estate is one week on, one week off. Apparently you can collect but who has the time.

Does nobody want to be a postman any more or is it a lack of funding for an post?

From the number of disgruntled posters in Swords, there seems to be a serious problem with the post there.

I certainly would not tolerate the situation described by River, who says he only gets post delivered every second week. As I pointed out above, An Post is under a legal obligation to provide a delivery every weekday to every address in the country - they can't pick and choose which locations they will decide to give lower levels of service to. The situation in Swords means they are essentially cheating people who pay to send post to the addresses concerned in the expectation that it will be delivered the next working day.

If I lived in any of the areas affected I would be calling around to my neighbours to put together a combined complaint to ComReg. Pleading lack of resources is not an excuse - An Post have only recently increased the cost of a stamp for a standard letter by 14.6%!