where you would recommend staying along the pacific coast highway?

speedy

we're heading over in feb and driving from san francisco down to san diego. we're not going to stop in LA but i'd love to hear of some nice towns to stay along the way. we're hoping to stay overnight 3 different nights along the way. thanks a million:)

Carmel, old mission to look at , lovely beach, nice restaurants, nice shops to browse through, possible sightings of Clint EAstwood ( he used to be mayor), really funny architecture, look like cartoon houses, rich area, drive from here around the monterey peninsula ( private so you have to pay to go in).

Santa Barbara, fishermans pier, nice town, good walks, good seafood.

You really only need to stop about twice in between San Fran and San Diego, the distance isnt that huge. As long as you have a little time in each to expore and along the way there are little gems to find ( literally in places!).

Although since I did once plan a short trip to the States to include a visit to one of my brothers, thinking I could visit him and be back in NY in a day, only to arrive in NY and find he was further, much further, away than I thought, please double check the distances!

Last edited:
Definitely the Monterey Peniinsula , Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel . would recommend as above with the above posters also Monterey and nearby Salinas is Steinbeck Country - if you are into that Great American writer.

Also would as you continue down route 1 there are lots of pretty towns like San Simeon etc etc along the way

Also you could head a little inland to Paso Robjes or San Luis Obispo to wine country - see the film "Sideways" - the coast line after the big Sur drive gets a little monotonous.

Wouldnt recommend San Luis Obispo as somewhere to stay. We did and regretted it.

Definitely Monterrey and Santa Barbara. By the way, allow at least 2 days to travel from San Francisco to LA, to take in the stunning scenary; also the coast can get quite foggy and you could miss the views if you only spend one day on the road.

Back