Where would I go for I.T. expertise

T

trekie

i would like to set up a small enterprise on the net ...it would involve setting up a web page of course,,,customers registering with site, receiving emials.... sending many emails at once to clients.....I would need to know what capacity i would need in my computer, how to structure the web site etc....
Can anyone advise me on where or who i should go to so i may assess the cost and viability of this venture..

Assuming you don't want to discuss the details here, look in the golden pages - there should be a number of IT consultants available in your area that will advise you on how to approach these issues.

Assessing the viability of the business is a more fundamental issue than planning the technical aspects of the website. You need a business plan first.

I agree with Clubman on the business plan.

Also make sure you think about exactly what you want from the site. Write down in black and white what the site should do, what services it provides and even down to the look and feel of the pages including colour etc.

I know of a number of people and small companies who have spent a lot of money on web sites they did not want because it was not clearly documented what the deliverables were.

All the above need not be technically focused and you can use plain and simple language to describe what you want. Whomever you approach should then be able to decipher your business regards and advise you on what the technical solutions may be or alternatives to what you propose.

Make sure they quite for all the items you need.

Enterprise Ireland have a very good site providing a lot of advise relating to IT, it is available at www.openup.ie. The site contains some good advice on the legal and business issues of running an ecommerce business. So you should also read those guides to make sure you do things the correct way.

Regards

C

I can recommend a great company to deal with www.amweb.ie , very professional. I have further contact details if you need them. You can send me a PM

The client list of amweb is really impressive...i.e. there's only one listed .....

amweb, is that part of [broken link removed] ???

i have no interest or affilation with the company. I work for a bank. I should have stated that in my post. Just trying to helpful not advertise.

Sorry - if you are recommending them then maybe you can clarify on what basis? For example, prior experience or something else?

Hi Trekie,
Ive been involved with building quite a number of sites over the past few years. The best thing to do is to blueprint exactly what you want and get timelines/price from web designers. Make sure you're happy with previous work/portfolio as you can waste a lot of time otherwise.