Where would I buy a woman's suit?

europhile

I've worn jeans/combats and T-shirts in work for years and have no other clothes to speak of.

I'm having to start going for interviews and will need to buy a suit. I'm not exactly Jerry Hall. I don't want to spend too much in case I end up getting a job where I don't have to dress smartly (and/or lose weight with some luck). On the other hand, I don't want something that looks as if it's home made.

Any suggestions?

New Look do some very reasonable suits, especially if it's just for the interview. Or else try Next.

Next separates are good. The jackets can be a little expensive - around €100 but they wear well and are usually machine washable. Failing that you can try Dunnes. I bought a fab pinstripe jacket in Penneys recently for €21!!!

Penneys is the best clothes shop ever

Sizes sometimes up to an 18/20 depending on stock & choice of clothes. Beautiful suits Lots of different colours - - Grey -- black -- tartan -- creamy brown.. So SO cheap you can't go wrong.

Good luck...
I'll know you'll find something fab for yourself

€6 black trousers € 22 Jacket & then some others are Trousers €13 & Jacket €20 etc.

& the clothes last you & you'll wear them a few times, not just for interviews... I wouldn't have the money to pay €100 for a jacket..

Thanks, guys.

I can assure you that long legs are definitely not my problem.

Where is New Look?

I must admit that the thought of buying a pair of trousers for €6.00 stuns me.

There's a big one in Liffey Valley. They also have Dunnes, M&S and lots more you could check out! Yes, I'm a shoppaholic! :)

I got a suit in Dunnes the other day for €80 (€50 jacket, €30 pants) - grey pinstripe. They've loads of them in stock at the moment. You may not want to spend that much but it doesn't look that cheap. I'm not mad about Penney's but that's just me!

I always find that Dunnes are good value for suits or separates i.e. jackets and trousers.

You can pick up cheaper in Penneys and they have some nice jackets at the moment but personally I think the quality in Dunnes is better. I have bought a number of suits over the years and most of them can be machine washed too which saves a fortune on dry cleaning.

M&S are also good for suits though may be a little bit more expensive.

You could always buy a jacket and get two pairs of trousers as there is more wear and tear on trousers

I'll try Liffey Valley first. They have M&S, Dunnes and New Look (but I think I might be a bit long in the tooth for New Look). Is there a Penney's there too?

Principles. And a lot more than I intended paying. But it doesn't make me look like the back of a bus. So, how could I resist?

I bulk buy twice a year in Planet in Arnotts. It's pricy (500 for a suit) but they wear well and my vanity is flattered by fitting into their 10 (they start at a 6 so probably not a real 10). The sales are good and the assistants will call you when the sales are upcoming so you can get half price. A solicitor I used to work with swore by the quality and I would agree. Last forever (or until I'm not a size 10!)

M&S is good but I recall going to a meeting where 3 other ladies were present and we realised that the four of us were wearing the same 2 trouser suits!

Got a beautiful pair of black trousers over a year ago in Dunnes for 35 euro that Im still wearing to work - would match a black jacket for smart suit look no problem.

penneys are selling 6 euro trousers in grey/brown/navy/black - legs are not too long on them though so maybe not great if youre tall.

i strongly advise dunnes as an initial stopping point for work clothes.

I like M&S as a starting place, lots of variations on a suit theme, ie short / long jackets, skirts, various trouser lengths.... and good quality.
Just got an email that their sale is starting, so could be worth checking out. Also worth checking out places like Pamela Scott, Arnotts, Debenhams for the sales stuff also.
Personally I don't like dunnes, sizing always seems to be all over the place, you can be a 14/12/16 all in the same pair of trousers! Never liked the stuff enough to actually bring enough stock into the changing room to find best fit!

I got a lovely suit in Mango last yr, about 140. Still wearing it!
Try the lines that A Wear also carry - some designers etc. Pennys do some nice jackets but I think their trousers are cheap looking (shiny!)

S

well europhile! You asked for cheap so I told you were to go. Have you never been to penneys? Obviously not, because if you had seen the suits you wouldn't be asking the question. Maybe you should have being more specific with how much you plan on spending!

So could you tell me why it would STUN you to pay €6 for a pair of trousers. I did also mention that they have others a little more expensive than that!

So could you tell me why it would STUN you to pay €6 for a pair of trousers. I did also mention that they have others a little more expensive than that!

I'd presume something that cost so little would be of very poor quality and would fall apart in the first wash (or even before).

Back