Where to visit / stay in the South of England

ali

Hi All,

Planning to take a week or ten days to stay in the south of England this year. Maybe around Easter or perhaps during the summer. Have been in Britain loads of times on business but never actually holidayed there. I believe Corwall, Devon, etc are beautiful but what I would really like is if someone could suggest a route of two nights in x, move on for one in y etc.

Travelling with husband and 3 kids, aged 16 / 9 / 6 all boys. Just want to see the place, find good places to eat and maybe do stuff at the beach like surfing.

All suggestions gratefully received.

A.

Going to Cornwall ourselves this year, Hendra Holiday Park in Newquay, caravan in tow (literally!). Fingers crossed, I'm hoping it wont be like an episode of Shameless :)

I've been to Cornwall before years ago, ideal touring country out on the tip of Cornwall from Penzance, St. Michael's Mount, Minock Theatre, Lands End, St Ives etc. etc. Something called the Eden project is also supposed to be worth a look. Also the moors in Devon (slightly to the North) are supposed to be lovely.

Do a search here and you'll find a thread from the last year or 2 about the South of England. I havent toured that extensively but from what I've seen the best is in the west, places like Bath, Glastonbury, maybe Stonehenge (inadvertently hit it at mid-summer last year so couldnt visit it) etc are all good. Bristol is also quite nice but a biggish city so be prepared.

Theres also New Forest in Hampshire which is supposed to be fab, just E/NE of Bournemouth, roughly midway across the South coast.

The Eden Project is fairly close to Falmouth and is certainly worth a look - you should allow the best part of a day for it. Brilliant concept, brilliantly executed!

We did a trip down around the South of England in September. My favourite place was Torquay. We started off there and I was sorry because we rushed it and only stayed there one night.

Strange how people's tastes are different, we couldn't stand Torquay and left after half day, it was a Saturday in fairness and the place seemed full of youngsters on the drink

The moors in Devon are beautiful, however bear in mind that the roads are not always the best, it's a bit like rural Ireland in places. I liked Lyme Regis in Dorset snd I can confirm that the beer in the village of Beer is very nice

If you don't want to go via ferry, easy enough to fly into Exeter and hire a car from there

Thanks all, food for thought. Will definately take the ferry as we will be travelling around quite a bit.

A.

Eastbourne is a busy little town right in the middle of the south coast.
It is the sunniest place in Britain due to the fact that it has its own micro-climate caught in between Beachy head( a great place to end it all apparently!) and the Suffolk Downs. Great beaches too,but mainly the fact that it is nearly always good weather was enough for me to be happy there.

Which ferry route are you taking?

Agree with other posters about the Eden Project, definitely worth a visit.

Personally, I was very disappointed with Stonehenge and wouldn't go out of my way to visit it again. Unlike Newgrange or Tara for example - you can only view the "stones" via a visitors centre - even then there's not a lot to look at!

I wouldn't recommend hanging around Bristol either. Devon & Cornwall are beautiful though. Dartmouth is also a lovely town to visit. Newquay is the surfing capital of the UK, whereas Torquay is more akin to say Blackpool (except the weather is generally better).

If ferry comes into Pembrokeshire, then you should definitely consider a couple of nights along the coast there.

Longleat Wildlife Park another great spot to visit.

Legoland, Windsor & Eton (if you have time) well worth a visit especially Legoland for the children.

Back