Where to visit in Ontario and Quebec

Happy_Harry

Going to the States and Canada in 2 weeks, but after reading some guides I still don't know where we should go. The only thing I know is that I will drive from Boston and stay about 4 or 5 nights in Canada before we head to the Niagara Falls. Initially I thought to spend a few nights in Montreal or Quebec and then break up the journey to Niagara, but not sure where to stop off en route.

Would anybody have any recommendations ?

Quebec City is lovely ... definitely worth a day or two ... It's really interesting as it's a very European city (narrow streets, walls etc.) but in North Amercia - which makes it rather unusual.

Montreal is more big city - good nightlife, restaurant scene .. again definitely worth a visit - I found it much more enjoyable than Toronto - If I had to choose to spend time in one over the other I'd definitely pick Montreal.

Niagara Falls didn't impress me that much - the falls are indeed pretty spectacular but what's around them is so hideously tacky and awful I think it detracted from them a lot ... If you're in the area (say in Toronoto anyway) then definitely worth a look ... otherwise I'd skip

In terms of Boston, have to say I thought the JFK museum was excellent and very interesting

I loved Niagara falls, it is awesome but ignore all the tackiness around it.You should do the Maid of the mist, the power of the falls is awsome, but unless you are small take a spare pair of shoes and socks with you as the plastic cover they give you only came to my knees

CN tower in Toronto is good, and if you are into sport, the Ice Hockey all of fame is good as well. Wasn't mad on Montreal, lots of 70s architecture

loved Quebec, weird, as it is dated in comparison with the rest of Canada/US but a good town for wandering, nice waterfalls north of it (Montmercy I think they are called)

You should also try and get to a baseball game, I know the game can seem silly but I love the people watching at any sporting event like that, Red Sox in Boston, Blue jays in Toronto

You should be aware that the distance between the area you're interested in is quite a bit and you'll be spending a lot of time on the road if you're driving.

Quebec City is about 2 hours from Montreal, Montreal is 2 hours from Ottawa, Ottawa is 4 hours from Toronto and then Niagara Falls is a further hour and a half from Toronto. Muck of the road between Montreal and Toronto is borring and flat, there's not a lot to see just highway driving.

I would reccomend that you either hit Toronto and Niagara Falls or Montreal and Quebec city. If you would like information about what sights to see in either place let me know.

Have a good holiday!
addob

Thanks for the reactions. I am aware that there is a bit of driving involved. Initially thoughts were to drive from Boston to Montreal, stay 2/3 nights there, maybe visit Quebec and Ottawa then drive to Niagara. Toronto was never part of the plan, as I am also going to spend 4 days in New York, so no need for any other big city, hoped Montreal was a bit more special than just a large city.
I am now leaning towards 2/3 nights Quebec, then driving to Niagara, breaking up the journey in Montreal and stay one night there.
Addob, what would you recommend we see in and around Quebec and what should we see if we have an afternoon and evening in Montreal ? Any recommendations for food ?

Any recommendations in terms of breaking up the journey between Boston and Quebec ?

Back