Where to take kids in Ireland?

ckc123

Hello,

We have 2 American families visiting this summer, with 7 kids between them ranging from 11 to 4. They will be based in West Clare, but are looking for suggestions for child friendly day trips and a couple of overnighters with the kids. We have not travelled around Ireland with kids so are looking for any suugestions/recommendations.
Thanks.

Hi there,
http://www.aillweecave.ie/ is fantastic as is the burren, there is also the willie clancy festival in Miltown Malbay [broken link removed] - you'd need to find out from the school when the festival is on in 08.

You are also near the ferry from killemer to Tarbert in Kerry - try killarney, sneem (The ring of kerry) - you could go mountainering http://www.goireland.com/Scripts/low/xq/asp/cat.15/areatype.C/areaid.179/SubjectID.12/qx/listing.htm

http://www.corkkerry.ie/individual_results.asp?sID=8525

Or you could go to Galway from Clare...

Have a ball, we spent all our summers as kids in Kerry and Clare and loved every second - great beaches - the lot

Crag cave just outside Castleisland is fantastic for adults and kids- it has the caves which are just as good as Alliwee but it also has this huge soft play area for young children- with a cafe right inside so that you can sit down, have a coffee and read the paper while the kids run around up and down bouncy castles, big slides, etc etc Theres also an outdoor play area and a bigger restaurant too for lunch. I would really recommend it especially for the younger children. I was there a couple of days ago and they said they are open every day this year until christmas.

The Killimer- Tarbert ferry in itself is always a winner with kids. If you're lucky you might even see a dolphin/s.

Killarney is great cos there are loads of walks all over the national park- possibly best to plan in advance what walks to do by buying a book and bringing a picnic. You can go out on boat tours around the lakes ( don't feed the gondolas!) and go horse riding too. Or take the jaunting car ride around Muckross.

Killarney town itself is incredibly busy and a little pricey but scenery is great and if you bring a picnic then you're sorted.

Tralee would be a good base for a few days around Kerry- it's central enough to do lots of day trips and has some attractions of its own- the Town hall has a museum, theres the Aquadome and lots of beaches around.

Must admit I love Dingle any time of year. Nice town, lots of restaurants that will appeal to children and adults, theres the aquarium and boat rides and then the stunning scenery around Slea Head. Well worth a trip.

Having said all of that if they are in Clare to begin with, how about a trip to the Aran islands? I love it there- although I think a couple of days would be enough.

the 'working' farm across the road from Muckross House in Killarney is a winner for kids as well esp in spring/summer when you've a good chance of chicks, puppies & kittens.

Would vote for Dingle also.

The Siamsa Tire in Tralee is first class - don't dismiss it for tourists only - the quality of music & dance is excellent.

i think you should take them to westport in mayo there you have westport house and zoo swimming pools your beside the sea beaches can go fishing and lot of lovely places to eat loads of bnb s hotles its a lovely town and is irelands tidyest town

If you venture towards Galway...

We have stayed in Oughterard the past two summers. There is a good trip run by Corrib Cruises ([broken link removed]) from the local pier that takes in Inchagoil Island and Ashford Castle. You can then lunch in a restaurant beside Ashford Castle. Be sure to pick a good sunny, warm and calm day when the trip is quite stunning. The cruise is run by two brothers. The guided walk on Inchagoil is particularly good. Our own three kids were aged 7 to 16 last year and my brother-in-law's kids aged 2 to 6. We all had a great time. There is very little walking involved, unless you walk from Ashford Castle to Cong Village. Good for chilling out. You can then have good pub grub in the evening in Breathneach's Pub in Oughterard.

Take them out to graze perhaps !??

there is a petting farm beside the cliffs of moher and they give you a bag of food to feed all the different animals which is nice, they have a small play area and a picnic area. They also do tea coffee and scones but most people bring picnics. You could easily spend a few hours there if the weather is nice.