Where to store title deeds?

Churchstreet

I have recently been fortunate to have paid my mortage. My Lender has sent me a nomination form , where I must specify where the deeds will be sent. Its either a Bank Manager/Assistant Bank manager, Accountant or solicitor. I decided to have them sent to my solicitor as my Bank advised they dont take in Deeds anymore. I have nominated my solicitor to accept the Deeds from my lender. My solictor has advised that she can accept the Deeds from the Lender but I will have to collect them and store them myself. The solictor advised buying a fire proof safe or bag.
Is this what people are doing now to mind Deeds for safekeeping?

My solicitor is keeping my ones, apparently in a safe. No cost. Beyond that I don’t know if that it the norm or what.

They need to go digital. Sorry that doesn't answer your question. Family members solicitor lost deeds two years ago, took an age to sort but was resolved.

They need to be kept securely. Not out of fear of them being robbed (if your house is broken in, they are looking for jewellery and electronics, not paper documents). See if your bank will hold onto them, that is where most people leave their documents post mortgage. But once the bank give you your deeds, they won't take them back for safekeeping. Next is a solicitor who has a big safe, which doesn't seem to be the case of the OP. Last is a buying your own safe. It should be bolted to the floor in case said robbers try to take it with them and open it elsewhere. On the Key post Brendan put up, someone suggested an airtight hole in the ground with a bag of rice to soak up the moisture. It's not the Da Vinci code you're hiding, it's keep some boring...but important documents safe!!

Back