Where to stay in Lisbon?

cch

We are heading to Lisbon in a few weeks, looking to book accommodation but really don't know where the heart of the city is i.e tourist sights, shopping, restaurants etc.. if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi

I was there before. Can't remember where I stayed but to be honest there is hardly anything to see in Lisbon. Strange place it's right beside the sea yet there is no beach you have to get on a train for about a half an hour and even when you get there the beach is tiny.

For nightlife jump in a taxi and say you want to go to the docks down there you will see the Vasco Da Gama bridge I think it's the biggest bridge in Europe to be honest that was the best thing I seen over there.

If you're going with kids I'm afriad you will find it hard to entertain them.

I only went over for football match pesonally I wouldn't go on a holiday. It's warm over there though.

There's a site called www.golisbon.com I'm sure you could find alot there or even at tripadvisor.com.

I was in Lisbon for 4 nights last december...we stayed in a place called travellers house...its a hostel but we had a double room that was close to hotel standard..think it was 40euro a night including hot breakfast. It was voted best hostel in the world recently and you can have a look at iton www.hostelworld.com. Really central...perfect for night life and sight seeing. Not sure how old you are but it also organises tapas evenings, pub crawls etc.
Lisbon city center was quite small, walked most of it...just got a tram to the monastry. also a nice city about an hour away on train called sintra worth a visit. have to say i really liked lisbon...was nice to just wander round, stop for coffee, glass of wine and enjoy the food. Very cheap city to eat drink. i'd defo go back.

Thanks very much for your replies and tips. We booked a hotel in Rossio, it seems quite central.

Just back from Portugal which included a few trips into Lisbon and I have to say that it's a fabulous city with plenty to keep you occupied. The weather is great and the food/drink is inexpensive. I would recommend taking one of the standard tours (open top bus etc) at first to get yourself oriented and then shoot off on your own i.e. you can rent three wheeled motorised vehicles (seats 2 or 4) with GPS to travel around in.

Be sure to see the old district and the Jeronimos Monastery, Belem Tower, Castelo Da Sao Jorge are worth a trip while a visit to the Oceanarium is great, especially if you have kids. If you do go to Belem be sure to have some Pasteis Da Nata pastries as they are delicious with coffee....actually look for them in any pastelaria as they are wonderful.

Sintra is definitely worth a trip as well, go and see the Palacio da Pena and there are beaches just a short train ride away in Cascais.

On the negative side be very careful with valuables (as in any major city) and if you have a car make sure that all valuables are stowed in the boot or glove box etc before you park as the thieves generally are watching for tourists. It's safer to park in the underground car parks and it is relatively inexpensive, as is the food and drink.

Have a great time.

P.S. Try the Poussadas for accomodation as they are supposed to be a type of accommodation specific to Portugal.

We are heading to Lisbon in a few weeks, looking to book accommodation but really don't know where the heart of the city is i.e tourist sights, shopping, restaurants etc.. if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

We were there a few years ago & stayed here....

[broken link removed]

It's a hotel that has apartments next door. Suited us as we'd a baby with us.

Lisbon itself was great. Lovely place to just wander round. There's one tram line that more or less gives you a tour through the city. The aquarium is well worth a visit.

Lisbon is a great city, we often stay in Hotel Lisboa plaza, which is a great hotel. As a city is top quality, food and drink is so much cheaper than Dublin, there's plenty to see in the city, night time is best spent down at the docks which have been revamped or up in Barrio Alto which is a great spot

Porto is an even nicer city!

Great city, easy to use transport links, plenty to see and do and as a geography lesson joebhoy is it on the estuary of the Tagus, a river, not on the sea coast, the Vasco de Gama is the second longest bridge in Europe and is across that river. The oldest part of the city is called the Alfama which is a twisty, narrow-streeted area build on the hill which is topped by the Castel de St Jorge, thoughtfully rebuilt by Salazar). Beside that is Baixa (where Rossio is) and Avenida, this part of the city is lower and flatter and was laid out in a grid pattern after the 1755 earthquake and is a very pleasant quarter, next to that is Bairro Alto which (as the name says) is another steep hill with more narrow winding streets and is an area filled with traditional Portugeuse bars and restaurants. Any of those three areas will put you in the centre, they encomapss a fairly tight area and are easily accessible from each other. I would suggest though your best bet would be to look at hotels near to Metro stations since this will make it easier for you to get around to the different areas (each trip costs €0.80) it expands the selection of hotels (There is a stop in Rossio and it is about as central as you can get!). Metro smart cards cost €0.50 and are dispensed by the ticket machines in the stations, you can easily charge them and the machines have an English language option. They can also be used on the buses.

I'd second all of Galwegian's suggestions and I'd add the Elavador de Santa Justa and at least one of the funiculars. There is also a tram system and there are old fashioned and newer trams, one of the old fashioned routes is out to Belém and another winds up the hill to the Castel de St Jorge (from which the view is stunning). I'd visit the Camera Obscura in the castle by the way - especially if you have children, it is fascinating. Cascais is just over half an hour by train from Cais De Sodré, there is also a lovely beach at Estoril which is a couple of stops before it. You should try to a wine tour, I did the one at the vineyard of José Marie de Fonseca in Azeitao (Fertagus to Coina and 2N bus to Azeitao, it terminates about a minutes walk from the vineyard). I'd also recommend taking a trip on one of the ferries to get a different perspective on the city, they depart from two terminals in Lisbon (Cais de Sodré and I can't recall the name of the other) and the terminal in Belém.

One thing I found puzzling is that while the smart card works on the Metro and the bus without any bother, I had to get an almost identical smart card each for the Fertagus, the trains and the ferries - it gets a little confusing! (Some of those sites have an English language version)

Oh and wear a decent pair of walking sandals because all that pretty stone paving is rather hard on the feet, legs and back!

We're planning to go to Lisbon for a few days at end May before heading down to the Algarve. We've been looking at hotels on TripAdvisor and getting the usual mixed bag of reviews.

We'd like somewhere reasonably central and don't mind paying a bit extra for somewhere with a bit of comfort, but doesn't have to be 5 star.

Regards
Homer

The Britania Hotel is good. We stayed here a couple of years ago based on reviews in various websites (including, but not only Tripadvisor). It has a great central location in a street parallel to, but noiselessly separate from, a major thoroughfare. It is close to public transport and the rooms and service are very good.
By the way, it is now number 1 on that website that must be taken with a pinch of salt.

I second the recommendation for the Britania, had a lovely stay there a couple of years ago. Well located, very comfortable, and staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Thanks. I was looking at the Britania and it sounded pretty good, then I read a couple of negative reviews and began to wonder whether it was all that good. I guess there are always some people who will gripe no matter what.

Back