Where to stay in Chicago

shaking

I'm heading to Chicago for a weekend in June where's the best place to stay for shopping, site seeing etc?

I wont cover shopping but Frank Lloyd Wright (america's most famous architect) lived and did a lot of work in a suburb of Chicgo called Oak Park, if that's your thing you can do a very interesting walking tour of his home and other homes and buildings he designed in the area.

I would suggest you stay in or around Michigan Avenue, preferably North Michigan. Shopping on your doorstep and handy for the sights too.

We have friends in Ilinois so we usually do a couple of nights downtown in a hotel when we visit. Have stayed in the Sheraton, Intercontinental, Hyatt, James and Hilton (Hilton is South Michigan and my least favourite of all the hotels we've stayed in) . My favourite of the lot is the James followed by the Sheraton. We usually book on hotwire or priceline to get good rates.

I've stayed in a Best Western (I think it's called BW River North), around 2000 and it was good, very centrally located and not too pricey if I remember correctly !!

Back