Where to stay in Carcassonne

B

bidsyO

We are going to Carcassonne in France at the end of June for two weeks and while the flight is booked we are not sure whether we want to book a hotel or an apartment neither are we sure about staying in one place or moving to stay in different areas - any advice on the area would be appreciated.

Hi

We went a couple of years ago and rented an apartment overlooking the canal - it was basic enough & a little shabby TBH but clean and reasonable.
Nice having a balcony for the warm evenings. About 10 minutes walk to the centre of the new town a further 10 maybe from la cité. I could look out the guys details if you are interested.

Chaeau de Cavanac is about 5kms. from Airport & same from La Cite. It has great French character & charm. Rooms are all priced differently & you can select from pics. on their web site. Even if you don't choose to stay there you should book there for dinner or Sunday lunch overlooking the pool & walk through their vineyard. If you would like to be nearer Le Cite itself you should look at a boutique B & B, Le Jardin de Cite which is 250 yards from the Cite entrance. Check out both on .
Carcassonne is within 50 mins of the Med at Narbonne & similar distance from Bezier & slightly further to Perpignan & Tolouse.

one of the best places I ever went, cant rem the hotel we stayed in but the castle and the old houses on the way into the town are just georg. Beautiful place.

Two weeks there at the height of the tourist season doesn't seem like a great idea. It gets packed out. I'd be more inclined to rent an apartment nearby and make a couple of day trips there. That said, I stayed here a few years ago and it was very nice but a little on the pricey side, if I recall. [broken link removed]

Narbonne is a lovely little town. Home of Charles Trenet. Also has some very interesting Roman ruins. I stayed in this place and it was absolutely beautiful and surprisingly cheap. [broken link removed].

Beziers is a depressing little town.

...and you can hop on the train to Narbonne from the little train station in Carcassonne. Narbonne is lovely and worth a day trip, lunch, and a wander around the fruit/veg/meat market. Also on the Canal du Midi.