Where to go with eight month old and 3 yr old?

purplealien

Can anyone suggest a family oriented place where we can go and have an almost relaxing holiday? Preferably somewhere that isnt a million miles away on a plane as it is first time travelling with small baby.

We were in Menorca twice - first when son was 11 months old and then when he was just gone 3 and his little sister was about 14 months.

- less than 3 hours from Dublin
- resorts are very family-oriented, as are local restaurants
- clubs will take toddlers - both in afternoon and at night while you and partner go for meal for two.

There are one or two UK-based websites where punters like you and me give their own testimonial about resorts, etc.

Menorca it is then - great that the kids club takes them in the afternoon aswell, i doubt many places do that. What was the name of the hotel ye stayed in? Thanks so much for the reply!

The Algarve,

Leave Dublin city center at 6pm and you should walk into your accomodation by 11pm. Try around Lagos, beaches are great, quite and safe for kids.

These previous AAM threads might be worth a read. They most likely contain info on Menorca (one of my favourite spots).

purplealien said:
What was the name of the hotel ye stayed in?

Oasis Park in Cala'n Forcat, seeing as you asked, but most places in Menorca would offer similar, and some superior, facilities,

Oasis Park is great for kids, evening entertainment is good and creche is good. No air conditioning tho and it can be very warm. Most of the apartment complexes don't have air cond. tho. Not particularly mad about Cala 'n Forcat as it is the busiest spot in Menorca.

We stay in Cala Blanca also which was lovely - very quiet.

I will be flying from cork - any idea how long the flight is? Can you bring a buggy on to the plane?

If direct flight it should be similar to Dublin, i.e. 2/2.5 hours.

AFAIK you can't bring the buggy on to the plane - you bring it as far as the steps and it is stowed seperately.

That's perfect because i'd be lost without a buggy there. Two and a half hours isn't long at all, once the baby's ears don't act up - might give him a spoon of calpol before we leave.

purplealien said:
.. once the baby's ears don't act up - might give him a spoon of calpol before we leave.

Reminds me of the first time we took baby on plane.
Couple in front of us at check-in were smugly confident that their 2 would be OK as they would be giving them Phenergan to sedate them.

By the time the plane landed, their two were hyper and hard to manage while our guy was a picture of serenity.

Lesson - whatever you are thinking of dosing baby with to sedate, do a test beforehand to make sure there are no unforeseen side-effects.