Where to go for Xmas

davfran

Want to go somewhere in Europe for week at Xmas. Any recomendations, not too hot ie. over thirty degrees? Also which airline is best, cheapest?

the canaries should be about early 20's that time of year, if its a sun holiday you want id say the canaries would be just right, the rest of europe is to northerly for that time of year

the canaries should be about early 20's that time of year, if its a sun holiday you want id say the canaries would be just right, the rest of europe is to northerly for that time of year

I'd second that - been to Canaries a couple of times at Xmas now - nice and low key - no over the top Xmas rubbish and weather just nice.

Word of warning - once you do it once you'll probably never stay in Ireland for Xmas again...

THats just what I wanted to hear. Overall how much should I budget, advice on where to book appartment, cant afford package deal.Just two of us.

aerlingus for 20-27 dec is 345 per person to tenerife, maybe you should hold off for a sale. personally id rather gran canaria but i dont see any flights for las palmas, cant adivse on apartments, maybe you could google apts to let, im sure you would have a good choice for that time of year

aerlingus do go to gran canaria, €500 per person, there are cheaper flights just before xmas but you would be home for xmas and im sure the reason for you going is to escape the hassle and the headache of xmas.

Haven't been to Gran Canaria but Xmas can be almost as busy as Summer in Canaries and therefore GC will probably be pretty busy.
Personally speaking, I would much sooner go to Lanzarote or Fuerteventura - much quieter, but there are still clubs and late bars if you want them.

Egypt is a good all year round destination. Panorama are doing X-mas trips to Sharm El Sheikh from Dublin (about 5 hours). I know it is not Europe but the other real option at that time of the year is the Canaries which is a 4 hour flight, so the extra flying time will not be really that significant.

www.panorama.ie

Couldn't recommend Sharm El Sheikh more than enough, especially if you are a diver. Better going there in the winter months anyway as the summer is unbearably hot.

Aer Lingus had a sale last week, but only for flights up to 18th December - big jump in prices for Lanzarote after that!

I spent Christmas in Lanzarote several years ago (left here 18th Dec, arrived back 1st Jan - missed all the madness!) and loved it. The only madness in the resort was the English pubs offering "genuine Christmas dinner" at inflated prices and fireworks on New Year's Eve - we avoided the former and enjoyed the latter!