Where to go for a romantic, first holiday?

ailbhe

Hi all.
My better half and are finally in a financial position to take a holiday. We've been together 6 years.
We have decided on a villa but aside from that have no idea where to go.
Neither of us have been abroad before. We can lose the kiddie for a week anytime( thanks to granny ) so we're not restricted by when we travel.

we've looked at some villas and would love to have one that is very private but the ones that seem to be private are in the middle of nowhere (what are the odds ) and we would need to hire a car. This would restrict us to Cyprus and malta (i am not a very confident driver and himself has a provisional so can't drive abroad).
The villas that are within walking distance of towns all seem to be very overlooked. I'd be happy to be in a villa that was central so long as it wasn't visible from a road. Might as well stay in a complex if you don't have the privacy as that is what we would be paying for. I relish the idea of being able to go swimming and sunbathing in a bikini (something I would NEVER do on a beach!)
If it isn't possible to be central and have privacy then which would be better? As I said above I've never been abroad before so be gentle if I'm living in cloud cuckoo land by wanting both! The opportunity for another couples only holiday may never arise again (want to have more kiddies next year) so I want it to be special.

Any suggestions for places like I have described?

You mention villas so I'm thinking that you might be interested in the gites/holiday homes in France? Plenty of these available all over the country from totally isolated, to semi rural, to outskirts of village etc.

Check www.cheznous.com

Depending on location, it can be any kind of break you want it to be really.

Should be straightforward enough to get e.g. stone built small cottage with private enclosed garden + BBQ , no neighbours but 10 minute walk from village bakery...etc etc...if that sounds good to you?

Book early with these places though...

i was a nervous first time driver (on the wrong side of the road) a few years ago but when you hire a car abroad you very quickly get used to it as it feels right.
i won a holiday last year to stay here

absolutely superb place, in the middle of nowhere but only a ten minute drive to the local village that has lots of restaurants and a great supermarket. it's on a vineyard and their chianti is superb. you're also in between siena and florence for outings (for florence we drove to the local train station and got the train in as parking is a nighmare in florence). we flew into bologna but you could fly to pisa instead.
try not to be too afraid of driving abroad as i think going to france, italy or spain will mean you'd get the kind of villa you're looking for.

playa blanca in Lanzarote. search ebay for villas. I saw a few last year and they do provide privacy - that turned me off!. Villas are divided from each other by high wall and it felt like a prison cell.

Why not try aluxury hotel instead - princessa yiaza is beautiful.

Why not try aluxury hotel instead - princessa yiaza is beautiful.

Other half is a night owl, I'm an early riser so we need a room I can go to in the morning leaving him snoring! A hotel room doesn't work as I always end up waking him up and have no intention of sitting in a hotel lobby wasting time until he wakes up.