Where to get the best hurleys in Ireland?

candyman

Any recommendations on where to get the best hurleys for boys ages 9 and up? Am based in Dublin so would be good to go to a physical shop to try it out but open to hearing about anywhere in Ireland that can deliver to Dublin.
Many thanks.

Sound, thank you. Have you used them yourself? Do they do a Light hurl, in terms of weight?

Sound, thank you. Have you used them yourself? Do they do a Light hurl, in terms of weight?
Liam does a lot of the hurleys for the Cork team, he was on an RTE documentary a couple of years ago about Christy Ring where he made a replica of a Ring hurley for Pat Horgan to try out. Custom made so it'll be a couple of trips

I wouldn’t go spending big money on a Hurley for a young boy or girl. Your local GAA club will sell you a decent Hurley for around the cost price. Most clubs now have shops open during Saturday mornings.

Better again take out family membership in the club and avail of its facilities.

My one bit of advice in buying a Hurley for one of your children is to buy a-run-of-the-mill club hurley that has a metal band and a good grip and has the right grain at the boss (bock). Ensure the Hurley is the correct size too.

Brian Walsh are good hurls; Raheny GAA (on the Northside) and Naomh Eoin (Marley Park) sell them in the club shops

Re metal bands: In Underage Hurling up to and including U12 age groups the use of metal bands on hurleys is prohibited unless the metal bands are taped over.
I’ve noticed this in Camogie, but I’ve never seen it in hurling.

Please Note:- I’m not doubting what you say and I would agree with the rule.

I’ve noticed this in Camogie, but I’ve never seen it in hurling.

Please Note:- I’m not doubting what you say and I would agree with the rule.
That is correct but then so many players don't band their hurleys these days anyway.

A modern hurley is going to be different from past years anyway, the old story of it being from the hip down doesn't apply anymore, they tend to be an inch or more shorter with the much bigger bas.

Just in Passing:- You’ve got your hurley(s) so next is a suitable sliotar. You usually can buy soft and small sized sliotars in your local GAA club. I recommend you use the soft sliotars for catching, handpassing drills, lifting, shooting etc The hard sliotar can be hard on the fingers., but your boy/girl will know when the hard sliotar is more desirable.

For those not-in-the-know please note GAA underage usually has more girls than boys playing (I’m not forgetting the Camogie people either). So your son will learn respect and social skills along with hurling skills.

Incidentally, bring grandparents to training sessions too. Outside of the Graball Brigade the GAA is excellent.

Are the Bambu hurls any good? I see them on Torpey.ie, was not aware they were making hurls in anything but Ash but there ya go....anyone used these?

Above article appeared in the NYT a few days ago. I can share links as "gifts" a number of times but I've never tried to post one to a forum before. Hopefully it opens.

My kids have them and like them (the bamboo ones); they are heavier than Ash hurl’s. My kids have a collection of hurls; never go to a match without at least 3….

Back