Where to buy used car engines?

RonanL

Hi.

First things first, I don't know very much about cars, so I'm not too up on the terminology, but here goes.....

I am in the market for a car and a friend might be able to buy a '05 VW Golf TDI from the company he works for. It's a car a colleague of his has been driving since it was bought. The engine needs to be replaced (apparently the engine block is gone or something), but apart from that it's in really good shape i.e. it looks ok! This sounded crazy to me but my friend says it's not uncommon to buy a replacement engine for a car.

So, here's the question. Where should I look for a good used engine? Also, if I do source an engine, does anyone have any tips on where to go from there?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. btw, I'm based in Galway.

Thanks,

Ronan

Re: Where to buy used car engines??

An 05 car needs a new engine! Sounds dodgy.

I'd look at Irish and UK breakers tbh.

u could try b s parts in duleek county meath. They are one of the biggest breakers yards in the country

2005 and need a new engine, I would be wary. This car was obviously a sales reps or similiar and at a guess I'd say the life was hammered out of it from day one! Did you get any info on the service history & if the services were carried out be reputable garage?
What sort of mileage is on it?

Try Traynors, The Moy: 048 38891242 based in Armagh usually have an excellent range of vehicles.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is a reps car. It was driven by a colleague of a friend. Apparently something serious went wrong, and he continued to drive it. I haven't even seen the car yet, I was just looking to find out if it was even feasible to source an engine and get it put in.

From what ye've said it looks like its possible, but not adviseable.

So say the car was driven into the ground, surely replacing the engine would negate that damage? Other than maybe worn shocks/suspension, what else could be wrong?

I'm genuinely curious, I would be wary of such an offer as well.

A hard life will stress every part of the car. Engine, gearbox, suspension, steering, brakes, and even the bodyshell.

If an engine fault killed off the previous lump, a new one might make this car a good buy.

If you want to buy a car, presumably you need it to get you round. What you don't need is a whole set of problems of trying to fix it.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it unless all its known problems had been fixed by the vendor first (and even then I'd be very wary as others have pointed out).

Why should you be stuck with the grief (and unknoen cost) of trying to get it sorted?

Back