Where to buy MP3s?

S

SteelBlue05

Where to buy MP3's?

I've bought some MP3's from www.legalsounds.com. Good value at only about $1.60 per album or about $0.15 per track but its catalog isnt as extensive as it could be. But for $10.00 I have downloaded 3 Radiohead albums, the new David Gray album, Guns & Roses Best Of, and the new Neil Young album. I think thats the end of buying cd's for me.

Anyone know of any other good sites to download\buy from?

Re: Where to buy MP3's?

Thanks, it does have a bigger catalog at the same prices.

Be aware that both these sites appear to be relying on Russian copyright law for their legality. AFAIK the record companies are disputing the fact that this law allows companies to sell music legally especially to consumers outside Russia, so these sites are operating in somewhat of a legal grey area regardless of their assertions as to their legality.

www.emusic.com offers 50 free downloads as a trial period - then reverts to pretty standard pricing

They have a fairly eclectic catalogue and you can always dump it after the first 50 downloads

As long as they keep selling albums at 1.40 each I aint too bothered. Sounds like its currently legal until the dispute is resolved.

SteelBlue05 said:
Sounds like its currently legal until the dispute is resolved.

Not necessarily, if the dispute goes in favour of the record companies it would likely be because it was never legal in the first place, the situation right now is that the law is not clear. Just because a point of law has not been resolved does not make it legal to ignore it while awaiting clarification.

I think any legal action is more likely to be against the website operators. However that does not entirely rule out action against unwitting customers, ignorance of the law is not a valid defence (though it may mitigate any damages in particular punitive damages if there was a genuine belief that it was legal). It may be that they cannot shut it down in Russia if it is truly legal in Russia in which case they may try from the other end by taking cases against the consumers in their home countries for downloading illegal music. The outcome could also be different country by country e.g. the US may decide it is illegal but Ireland might not, as music rights are generally country specific. This is why Irish consumers could not download from iTunes when it first launched in the US and had to wait for the Irish iTunes store earlier this year.

any connetion with that site?

cant see too many reasons to drag up a thread that old.