Where should I get my new computer?

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I want a new computer and quite fancy the Dell ones (especially the prices) but as soon as I start customising them they get much more expensive.

I'm not especially fussy but I do want the following:

1. Flat screen
2. Floppy Drive
3. DVD RW

Quite like the idea of wireless mouse and keyboard.

It's for home use, so I want speakers and eventually will be getting broadband in the new house. Don't need a printer.

Would you stick with Dell? Or are there better deals out there?

I'm not PC illiterate but would not be competant enough to build my own, so thats that out.

Rebecca

As can be seen from my other thread, am clueless when it comes to IT, however for my tuppence worth, wireless keyboards and mice are very hard on batteries- you'll find yourself changing them so often that its annoying. Have gone back to the wired version just for convenience.

Friend of mine compared similar spec'd machines from Dell and elara.ie, he doesn't want a printer which Dell are giving him for free, but the elara system worked out a bit cheaper, although I did chance my arm last year when I ordered my Dell PC and then decided to cancel that order, only to be offered a 15% reduction which I took. Thanks to a tip here on AAM. Brother ordered an elara machine as he didn't want a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc and is very happy with it.

You can get the Adaware, spybot AVG software for free plus opensource applications so dont be bought over by these 'features' when selecting one

Thanks stobear and Vanilla.

I'll check out elara and I might try the Dell stunt. Sure I could always ring back a week or two later and re-order if they called my bluff.

Rebecca

Have used Dell a lot in the past, both privately and for business (buying pcs). Have had trouble with every single order. Would not go near them if I could help it. Have been dealing with elara (mostly software and peripherals) for the last while and find them much better.

IMHO the most important thing with pcs is the warranty - go for the longest possible. This is terrible as you would expect even in ripoff ireland that goods would at least fulfill the terms of the Sale of Goods Act, but most pcs seem to have problems after the first 6 - 12 months - which is taking the whole built in obsolescence thing a bit far.

Anyway, rant over, good luck with your shopping.

Jayney mackers, maybe I'll just stick with my old banger. There's nothing "wrong" with it - it's just too clumsy and big and I wanted a nice new compact one.

Rebecca

Eben said:
Have used Dell a lot in the past, both privately and for business (buying pcs). Have had trouble with every single order. Would not go near them if I could help it. Have been dealing with elara (mostly software and peripherals) for the last while and find them much better.

IMHO the most important thing with pcs is the warranty - go for the longest possible. This is terrible as you would expect even in ripoff ireland that goods would at least fulfill the terms of the Sale of Goods Act, but most pcs seem to have problems after the first 6 - 12 months - which is taking the whole built in obsolescence thing a bit far.

Anyway, rant over, good luck with your shopping.

I have used Dell too a lot for business and at home since 1999 and only had bother with 1 machine (out of 30).

Never had problems with Dell - and they are far better value than they used to be - to avoid the extra cost of customising - which always brings the price up to a ridiculous level, make sure you pick one of their specials in the paper by getting the code to type in online, or on the main desktop webpage you will see a couple of already pre-customised models - these normally represent much better value than starting with a cheap model and adding on.

Or you can buy somebody elses canceled order with a hefty discount ;)

Dell Factory Outlet is a division of Dell Products, selling refurbished computer equipment. This is product, which has been returned to Dell for a variety of reasons including cancellation and specification changes.All products have been tested and repackaged to Dell factory standards and come with a full Service Pack.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dfh

Good Luck ;)

MissRibena said:
I do want the following:

1. Flat screen
2. Floppy Drive
3. DVD RW

Quite like the idea of wireless mouse and keyboard.

If you're not in a hurry why not wait for the next Aldi or Lidl offering. I got a Medion fromi in November. It had all of the above + a lot more for under €1500. When I tried to build it on the Dell site it worked out at €2300 and that was without the card reader, bluetooth or 3 year warranty

Dell have a way of advertiseing great deals but as soon as you add what you want the cost goes up.

Hp do a great range of PC's called the hp Brio these are great computers.
The after sales support is very good.

That's a great idea Crunchie, don't know why I didn't think of it. I think I will hang on or have a look at the Dell Factory Outlet too.
Thanks everyone
Rebecca

Hi

I was in the same boat and was thinking about Dell but was told their customer service was not the best should anything go wrong. So checked out a few websites like elara and komplett and to trying to get them on the phone was like calling Elvis. So went with Marxcomputers in Fairview as I can buy over the counter. Told them what I required they gave me a quote. Posted this quote on various boards asking for opintions and then Wa-la Bobs your Uncle. Had no problem with them and they are very helpful

You could also try

[broken link removed]

or

http://www.gemma.co.uk/product.htm

For those dinky little shuttles which are great little machines.

Building one yourself is often cheaper but you can buy a full one from Komplett these days which is usually good value. Good value on flat screens also

[broken link removed]

I had a dell and the screen that came with it gave me hickory. black as coal some times and ok others. gave up and bought a cheap flat screen in Harvey Normans. Left computer on two years ago and got destroyed in an electrical storm. Wasnt even on just not disconnected at time. Anyway cheapest I could get was an IQON which has worked fine for the past 2 years and I havn't yet replaced any batteries in the keyless mouse or keyboard. But I cannot play freecell with it anymore for some odd reason the little egg timer comes on when you move it over a card. I think its something to do with the wirless bit. Tesco sell Iqon.

Coolest and best by far is Apple. Very little compatibility problems these days. Will cost though.

Other flexible option is Dell Laptop with docking station and screen/keyboard gives full desktop performance and mobile capability without fiddling with wires every time.

After moving over the last 3 years from buying new PCs to gradually upgrading the internals to finally buying all the coponents seperately and just building the thing myself (with the help of a friend) I would never ever buy a new PC again.

I know you're probably not inclined to do this but if you research and buy the components yourself and build (get a IT type friend to?) you can have an incredible PC and save yourself about 30% of the cost of most PC suppliers.

Back