Where in Portugal? Which resort?

bonza1

So, having decided after much deliberation, to go for a villa in Portugal for next years holliers, I now have to decide which resort. And as usual I havent a clue so am on here looking for reccomendations. I would like somewhere where the beach is nice, I can get to restaurants etc fairly easily with out being bang in the middle of a resort, a family oriented place. Im sure most of the Algarve fits this, but I dont know which is better. Somewhere like Play Blanca as opposed to Hersonnisos for anyone who as frequesnted either of the above!! I dont want to feel as tho I am walking down a drunk O'Connell street! Anyone any ideas?

Alvor is a really nice area, we go there a lot, Pria d'Rocha is more for the young crowd, alberfera can be hilly but i have never stayed there so cannot comment i have only visited it at night,

We've being going to Alvor for years and really love it. Old fishing village, not too built up, very family oriented, great beach, lots of nice restaurants and no lager louts.

Lagos is nice too. Albufeira and Praia da Rocha are very built up and full of night clubs.

Homer

Hidden Gem that will knock your sox off....Burgau. In the Algarve, not too far from Lagos really. Very small town, fantastic beach, several tasty restaurants, extremely affordable. Close to any of the bigger places if you want to , but you really might not want to stray from this little hidden retreat. Its a gem I tell you.

I rented an apartment through a friend of a friend...and I believe it is tough to find rental pads for Burgau online..anyways..its more than worth checking out.

Great website for you to check for accommodations (Although I couldnt find Burgau). Alpharooms.com

just returned from Tavira. Absolutley amazing. rented an excellent one bed with balcony overlooking the river(€450 p wk). Ferry takes you to the sandbank islands, ihle de tavira. ten minute journey. lady that owns the apt. has an excellent authenthic restaraunt down stairs and brought us down for amazing dinners- free.

shop nearby-

i ltre water -11cent
1ltre of excellent beer €1.30
dearest wine in the shop €2

Pure gold. if you want details pm me.

Enjoy........

Thanks Killter but need at least 3 bedrooms. Will be checking out the area tho, know someone who went and liked it.

Bonzo...i am just back from Lagos and it was lovely....i plan to head to Alvor next.

Avoid Praia de rocha and albufeira..a bit too built up.

Can highly recommend Carvoeiro. Bout 40 mins from Faro airport, beautiful beaches, some very private, gorgeous scenery. Town is fishing village, very family oriented, lots of restaurants and some pubs but not a 'mad' drinking town. About 20 mins to various water parks etc - gorgeous!