Where I can buy some bamboo plants?

eggerb

Does anybody have an idea as to where I can buy some bamboo plants around Dublin? Do they come in pots or bare root? Should I plant them in the soil (beside my neighbours fence or decking) or keep them potted? Cheers.

They can be bought in most garden centres. They can be in pots or in the ground. You can get tall ones or bushy ones. One thing to be aware of is not to fertilise them - they don't like it.

You should be able to buy them from any good garden centre. We have many very large bamboo's in our nursery in Monaghan. one thing to remember is that mosy not all bamboo's can be extremely invasive. If you do not want them to grow out of control you should purchase a barrier for them which can be used when you plant them. Any other questions then please let me know.

Irish Garden - I didn't hear it anywhere - it happened to me when I fertilised one bamboo I had and it went to seed straight away. It was a tall one and it died back a bit. Then it reverted to being a shrub. I then read somewhere not to give bamboos too rich a soil so I came to my own conclusions.

Over-fertilisation or drying out can cause a bamboo to run to seed like what happened to yours joanmul.
This often means the end for that particular plant, as its life cycle is then complete.
In my experience vast majority of bamboos like a rich soil and benefit from a top dressing of slow release fertiliser in the form of well rotted compost/farmyard manure during autumn.
A light application of 18-6-12 or similar grass fertiliser in late spring would also be beneficial.

I saw them for sale at Powerscourt during the summer - about €75 for tall ones though