Where can I obtain damsons?

CMCR

Please forgive if I am posting this in the wrong section:

Would anyone know where I can obtain fresh damsons? I believe they are in season from August-September but I cannot get any anywhere - despite contacting a number of fruit farms.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I need a relatively small quantity (about 4 kgs) of them. East/South East area.

CMCR.

Have you tried the Dublin City Council fruit & veg markets in the Capel Street/Mary's Abbey/Mary's Lane etc. area?

in my experience damsens are not really grown but are on trees beside roads, a bit like blackberries, and probably free to take? know any farmers who live up long country lanes?

[broken link removed] may have damsons for sale, i know they sell apples and i think they do soft fruits too, might be worth giving them a call. think it's rare enough for damsons to be grown commercially so you may have to try and find someone who grows them themselves.

There's a damson tree in the garden behind us & all the damsons are already gone from it (I didn't eat them ALL ).

I think they bore fruit earlier than normal this year with all the rain.

There are still masses of them in the hedges near us (around Tullamore) - we've already made one lot of jam and are going out picking this afternoon for more. As posted earlier, they grow in hedgerows, but sadly the trees get quite badly butchered by machine trimming, so often they don't crop very well.

Thanks to all for the very helpful responses and suggestions above. I really appreciate it.

CMCR.

No, afraid my search for damsons has been fruitless! (But thank you for asking, dereko1969).

Considering buying some damson bushes and planting my own for next year......spicy damson chutney will have to wait for 2008!

CMCR.