Where can I get free webspace

• Thread starter podgeandrodge
  • Start date
P

podgeandrodge

Hi
Can anyone suggest where I might get a small amount of webspace (up to 20 megs would be fine) I know that Eircom provide it but the big problem is that you have to dial up with eircom.net to access the FTP side of things, so my NTL broadband connection is no good. Yes, I have some space at NTL but I want separate space to point a friends domain at that can be updated anywhere by FTP. Any other freebies like Eircom out there that give you space without adverts etc? Cheers.

Subject changed from upper case.

uppercase

oops sorry about Uppercase subject, thanks for fixing it Clubman, realised after but couldn't figure out how to edit my own post - but that can be the subject of another thread!

Just to clarify (as I stupidly read it wrong the first time) - "No need for a new topic - see here" refers to my inability to edit my posts.

I still need help with the webspace issue!

Re: new topic

One option (I'm open to correction) would be to leave your computer on 24hrs on a broadband connection, set up a web server on our computer, sign up for a dynamic DNS service and point your friend's domain at your computer.

Most ISP's don't allow this but, hey, who's to know?

webspace

Thanks but all I want to do is put a simple 2 page website up on some free webspace and point the domain name to that free webspace. Then, apart from the odd change to the site, it is completely hands off. Eircom's [broken link removed] solution with 20 megs space would be perfect bar that you have to dial up on an Eircom dialup - which I could do the odd time I suppose...

Re: webspace

I know you wanted free but $10 per month is only 3 pints a month. They offer multiple domains under the one account.

Disclaimer: I host my website(s) there.

webspace

Where can you get 3 pints for 10 dollars?!
Went with Eircom in the end, disabled my broadband and connected with Eircom dialup - nostalgic (and painful) but upped the site content to free space so all fine. Until I have to update it! But not too much pain for a small site.

Re: webspace

Where can you get 3 pints for 10 dollars?!

I bought four 500ml cans (i.e. more than four pints) of Hackenberg Pils in my local offlicense the other night for a fiver (c. US$6.60) if that's any use?

Hackenberg Pils

I hope Sluice wasn't talking about that mouldy Hackenberg 3.5% alc. slop when he talked in terms of "pints" as opposed to tins or cans!

Re: Hackenberg Pils

The Hackenberg I bought was somewhere between 4% and 5% ABV and tasted nicer to me than some cans of Heineken and Stella Artois that I also bought recently. I only bought it because the local off license had jacked the price of Bavaria 330ml bottles up from €1 to €1.50. I draw the line at Dutch Gold though.

free sites

I would agree that geocities.com is good, but has pop-out ads on free sites, which can be annoying.

Try this hosting site (free) - ipowerhosts.com
It looks good, has lots of options, e.g. guestbook and message board add ons.

I'm thinking of going with them. No pop up ads is a bonus !

ipowerhost

Will check this out, am looking for the catch!

thanks