Where best to pay VRT?

S

Seosamh

Hi,
Where is best place to pay the least VRT on English plate cars? I heard some places are easier on the pocket than others? I have one i'm trying to sell as is with buyer to pay, but it seems to be putting everyone off ...

Surely the VRT payable is non negotiable?

I heard that VRT on imported used cars was calculated differently dependent on which VRO (Vehicle Registration Office) you go to... they tax it based on the expected retail price, or Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).. but surely there is some subjectiveness involved in deciding the expected retail price of any car given that no two used cars are the same...

Therefore, out of the 32 VRO's in the country there are probably a few that are more conservative in their estimation of a cars value than others...

I must say, however, that I've never dealt with ANY VRO's so I am open to correction...

I suppose it depends where you are.

If you try one will the reg then be on the system for all the rest to see?

I suppose just try and see.

Would it be worth trying to wait till january?

As far as I can determine the VRT office can determine that your car is below average and in those circumstances may allow you a discount on what you will see on the VRT calculation on line- however the margin allowable is quite small and you will probably only be allowed this if the car is in pretty poor shape or high mileage and basic package etc.

I received some good advice and links from Xavier on this thread- http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=37088&highlight=VRT+haggling

I am tryin to hold out til jan, i've gotten away for a little bit so far, but i know few close friends who have been done,so my time is nearly up. I have heard, truth or not , that it is down to place you pick to go, as to how close to revenue.ie you actually pay. I tried one county, didnt give my address or its reg, but the guy was really short with me, as if i'd a cheek to ring him and ask questions! On mentioning this to people i know who have gone tru the system couple of times, they said they get it a lot too.

I have heard, truth or not , that it is down to place you pick to go, as to how close to revenue.ie you actually pay.

It's nonsense. There is a tiny amount of variance available depending on the condition of the car. You're talking a few percent here not thousands. And the condition isn't relative to it being very dirty etc we're talking damaged panels etc. to even consider it.

Go to your local office.

Feck that just practice your english accent,

All together

Awright Paddie Wot seems to be the problem

What a luvly little country old boy

Yea, thats what one of my friends said, but i'm crap at impressions!!!

Impressions won't work. They've heard every conman trying it on at this stage.

They are very strict on permanent relocations and VRT free imports.

I know someone who didnt pay as much as he was expecting when he took his Merc to pay his VRT. The person inspecting it missed the word "Coupe" when he was looking up the value....

Is it true that VRT is being scrapped in 2007? Just bought a car up north due to collect it Saturday.... just wondering if there was any truth in it!

Hi Sabrina,
The only person who knows if a tax is to be changed next year is Brian Cowen, and after the budget in a few weeks we will all know.

I would be really surprised if VRT was scrapped

I know.. i must ask my husband where he heard that.... sounds too good to be true!!!

I agree - VRT would be replaced with yet another stealth tax.

In terms of the best VRO I would choose a Dublin one if you live outside of Dublin. Obviously you'll need the "use" Dublin address and when you receive the documentation then change it to your permanent adress.

The reason being that a D reg seems to be important for some buyers - maybe the perception is that outside the Pale only bumby bog roads exist.