Where best to deposit my savings?

midleton

This may seem insensitive when we are in middle of a recession ....me included. My hubby and I had whats left of our SSIA savings in AIB bank for few years making zilch........we are bit wary of AIB and ARK LIFE due to problems with them....they gave bad advice over the years we have been with them. We removed our deposit and are now wondering where would be best place to put it. We are leaning towards AN POST but what is the best thing to use there. Our lumpsum is €20,000 and its our pension really......my hubby has been self employed for 30 years a sole trader builder just making a weekly wage. We have a small personal pension payment every month but its tiny believe me. Hubby is now working in local hotel (and we know he is lucky to have it) and I lost my job at beginning of recession and due to recession. We want this sum to be safe but that is its making interest, capital safe and that it is fairly available should we need it urgently.

We need advice.

Please do not think we are loaded.........we are not......we are both in middle 50s and worked hard all our lives.

Thank you for that info. As I said in thread I am new to this and learning. Lots of great info though.......much appreciated.

I have a similar amount and have been trying to decide what what to do with it. Today I arranged for 5k to be sent to me so as I could invest in prizebonds. Anyone I know who has them has won money a few times so I am taking a chance. I know there is no interest on them but they are safe and you may win money. It's only a small portion too until I decide what to do with the rest.

Back