where and when in mauritus?

ilovepink

Hi all. thinking of going to mauritus on our next holiday. i dont really no anything about the place or when to go. im looking for sun obviously so weather is important. can anyone recommend where to go or where to stay. thanks guys

I went last august, and would not recommend it tbh.

It is a resort holiday where there is very little to see outside of the resort itself (thats fine if thats what youre into but I prefer to see a bit of culture and wander the local area). We stayed in La Pirogue, which is in Flic'n'Flac. There was NOTHING outside the resort, the nearest town/village was very poor and most of the buildings were in a state of disrepair, there was nowhere to go for a wander. The do have a lot of Factory Shops - but we werent interested in buying designerwear.

The weather was not good when we were there, the time of year, its their winter, it was warm, but very grey and cloudy. Rained a couple of days too.

The resort itself was lovely, the staff were great, beach beautiful, pool beautiful, food was amazing. The rooms were not great, quite basic - but had the weather been better we wouldnt have been in the room much.

It all depends what you are into - if you want a holiday where you dont really leave the resort, and just lie about in the sun, do some water activities and eat a lot - then go for it, but my thoughts on that were that I could have done exactly the same for a lot less money and travel time on any of the Canary Islands.

There was nothing about my trip to make it uniquely a trip to Mauritius, I could have been in any resort on any island, anywhere.

afaik, best time to go is Nov - April. Anything outside this I think is monsoon. We went to Maldives once which is in same climate area I think and planned for Nov but had to go earlier in Sep and the flash rain storms were a pain in the a$$

Agree with the above ... I wasn't that impressed with Mauritius

It's not really a desert island paradise at all .. it's a fairly small island with about 1m people on it .. so pretty crowded (and quite poor too as noted above if that bothers you)

When i was there it rained as well (August I think) .. which perhaps predjudices me against it but I wouldn't be falling over myself to reccommend it as a holiday destination .. Yes I think there are some nice (very expensive) hotels there but nothing uniquely amazing about the place ... and it's a very long journey to get there (~12hr flight from London)

I think if you want Indian Ocean "Paradise Desert Islands" the Seychelles or Maldives might be a better bet.

I'd also agree with all of the above. We were there last March and it rained a lot as well. There's not a lot to do outside of the resort hotels, so you might as well go somewhere like Sharm with a much shorter flight.

We were there in October some years ago, staying at the Belle Mer Plage, and had a great time. The hotel is on the East coast, though I doubt if this has any impact on the weather.

We stayed in Grand Gaube area ('Legends' resort) and really enjoyed the stay. The service, activities, spa and food in the resort were superb. The weather (end of August) was warm and sunny most days with occasional overcast/rainy periods. It's a small island so you could hire a car or do a few day trips and see most of the island.

However as mentioned, outside the hotel is a different world from the pampered existence in the resort but I never felt in danger whilst out and about. If you’re looking for a relaxing holiday lounging in luxury then you won’t be disappointed.

As people are offering alternative suggestions I’ll throw my tuppence worth in and recommend Bali. Further away, but more things to do outside the resorts and cheaper too. There are some fantastic resorts inland at Ubud and along the coast too.

We also stayed in Legends last October, it was fantastic and we found the whole holiday so relaxing. There might not be a lot to do outside the resort but you don't go to Mauritius usually except to stay in luxury resorts. We did a day trip shopping, the driver was €60 to hire for the day, we also did a day trip on the Catamaran. The rest of the time we enjoyed all the gorgeous restaurants at Legends, the beach boy service bringing cocktails, the water sports such as water skiing, the spa treatments massages and body scrubs...all these activities were included in the All Inclusive. I can't recommend the holiday highly enough. But I would agree with the people who say if it rains there's not a lot to do and I would only visit at the sunny season even if it is more costly.

Back