When's best to book flights for New York in early October.

NovaFlare77

Well, the title says it all I think. I'm planning a trip to the Big Apple in early October, but when will be the best time to book tickets to get the best prices? I don't want to book them in, say, April only to discover that September's the best time (or vice versa).

I'm flexible as to who I travel with so if anyone has any advice, it will be greatly apperciated.

2 years ago we booked delta in early feb for travelling at thanksgiving. we got a good deal - and never seen them cheaper afterwards. we ended up in first class at no extra cost.

I travel to the US about twice a year and the price can often depend on the price of fuel. It is a bit of a gamble getting cheap flights. I have been lucky and got them for around 330 return but have also had to pay alot more when i left it too late in the hope that they would go down but they went up. Keep an eye on the price over the next few months. Its been about 380 the last 2 years.

In the current economic climate, I'd leave it as long as possible - maybe late summer (early September when all the summer peak travel in the States is over) and then start looking for a bargain. We're going to Phoenix in April for a wedding and because we were tied to dates, booked in December and flights cost €1,200 return - same journey can now be done (with different stops) for half the price. Never can tell - but my advice as a twice-yearly traveller to the States, usually on the basis of flying at least cost with flexible dates - is, leave it as long as possible, unless of course, there's an almighty sale in Transatlantic prices. Have you checked the prices from the UK/Amsterdam - more traffic sometimes brings the price down.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm travelling for a specific event on the 8th to 10th, so my dates are somewhat fixed. Not picky who I fly with though and so far BA is coming in the cheapest at about €430 Dublin/NY return. It's good to have an idea of what the average flight has been though. I'll try Amsterdam as well. I've never been there so might try and get a morning flight in and an evening flight out so I can do a day trip around Amsterdam.

Hellohello, if I fly delta, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a free upgrade .