When to trade up?

OrlaM

I have a 2012 Renault Grand Scenic 7 seater MPV with 19k kilo mets in the clock
Following an article on the Last Word last night I enquirer about how much it would be to move up to a 2013. There's an ex demo with 2k kilometres on the clock that would cost me €5k to change

I suppose the question is - does it make economic sense to keep up with a new car? Is this a good deal?
Otherwise if I had intended to hold onto it for 8-9 years to see the kids through is there any point in spending €5k to go up just one year

Are you going to then keep the 2013 car for 8-9 years? Seems to me that you would be wasting €5k,to arrive at exactly the same position .

Most depreciation occurs in the first year, I suggest that this isn't a wonderful deal and to hold onto it a little longer, I drove Renault for years, Clios, Meganes, Scenics and Lagunas and trust me get rid before they run out of manufacturers warranty, they will be popular family secondhands and will fetch a good price even privately.

I had arrived at the same conclusion. Had it been €3K to change I may have been tempted. It was always our idea to hold onto it for 8-9 years so we bought new with that forecast in mind.

But the recent article spoke of such a short supply in the second hand market I was just tempted to play with the economics of it to see if it made sense to get a fresher and newer year car

Based on €5k it's not a current runner

Thanks for the opinions

Back