when to scrap? 12 y.o o.corsa/32k miles - now a steering prob

gearoid

Hi,
I'm wondering how much money to plough into repairing my current car or whether to buy a new one.

I bought a corsa from new 12 years ago. I've very little mileage done but now have a steering problem. The car veers considerably to the left on driving. If it is anything more substantial than wheel balancing required is it economically better to scrap if the repairs are reaching say 50% of the value of the car?

My circumstances have changed slightly and I'm now putting a lot more mileage in going forward, so I'm thinking of changing to a mid-range car such as an Octavia anyway.

A hefty repair bill may help make my mind up...

In the meantime any views would be gratefully accepted.

G

12 years is good going from a small car.Cut your losses I'd say and hope the next car lasts as long;)

It could be something small like tracking. Find out what the problem is first.

32k is still low mileage. The car should be good for another 32k at least.

Depends what you could use the car for - if anything? Have you a family member who could use a car but who can't afford one? You could give it to them if you have no further use for it - it seems a hectic shame to scrap a car that's in decent running condition (other than what could be a minor steering problem like track-rod ends).

It does not sound like this car has lived a hard life, and just because it's 12 years old does not mean it has no value - my G/F's motor is 15years old and she bought it 2 years ago for €1k (with a much higher mileage too).

A small car like that should be snapped up quick by someone looking for a first motor or a cheap-to-run second car or runabout. Suggest you investigate what the problem is - don't use your Opel garage if you want to keep the cost down - get a recommendation for a decent local mechanic. Depending on the problem, get it fixed and have it serviced. Maybe wait with it till the next NCT and then put it up for sale at the top book price. I think you'll be surprised at the interest.

it seems a hectic shame to scrap a car that's in decent running condition

I agree wholeheartedly Paulone. I was just wondering what the situation was if you had to put more than 50% of the price of the car into repairs. I don't like scrapping an entirely functional if somewhat unloveable piece of machinery!

I got word back today that the repair charges are minimal. One tyre replacement and some minor tracking adjustment.

Thanks for the various replies.

At some stage I will change but it will be to avoid serious underpower on overtaking and the absence of airbags etc. For the moment I'm taking any longer journeys by train, keeping the old car going.

Back