When to put up xmas tree and decorations?

blueshoes

hi.

Ok so last night after been away from my house for a few days, my neighbour has all her xmas stuff up. Now let me tell you its not just a tree its got the works santy's snowmen lights everywhere.

While I dont care about it, it is actually quite nice but god so bright.

My house will only have a tree and a wreth on the door whick probably wont put up till the 20th dec.

When does everyone put up trees etc? On my way home I also noticed a few trees up.

Is it just me or is it getting earlier every year

A week before christmas at the max so around the weekend of the 17th/18th

I hate the way this country get more and more like america every day - why cant we do things are on way we are like lost sheep

I was out driving around dublin last night and saw the most god awfull lights on people houses. what are the trying to atract airplanes to crash into their house?

Anytime after 1st December is fine with me. I'd say I'll put mine up at the weekend.

Is it just me or is it getting earlier every year

No - it's not just you.

I was walking along Bath Avenue last weekend (26 Nov) and saw a garden with the full gear installed - Santas, reindeer & the rest. It may have been for charity so I let it pass.

Yesterday, when you wouldn't put a dog out in the rain and wind, a neighbour spent most of the afternoon up a ladder pinning lights to his gutter. Why he couldn't wait a week, or for 'safer' weather, is beyond me.

I'm sure David McWilliams would have an aphorism for this sort of behaviour !

RTÉ Radio will play christmas music starting on Dec 8th. I think thats a sensible date to begin putting up the decorations.

RTÉ Radio will play christmas music starting on Dec 8th. I think thats a sensible date to begin putting up the decorations.

Not sure what station you are referring to but "fm seem to have been playing xmas music since Dec 1st. As for putting up the tree, after Dec 8th seems the norm. Will probably get around to it here, at the weekend.

I always go along with what my Grandmother used to say....."12 days before and 12 days after" !

Will be putting them up on Sunday. Looking forward to see the childrens reactions.

hey guys,

thanks for the responses, looks like we will be putting the tree up this weekend, as its the last day of my partner has till christmas day. And would be nice to do it together and watch the little one ripping it apart, she is a little devil

Last edited:
I always thought it was put up on the 8th (immaculate concetpion) and taken down on 6th Jan (Little Xmas)

omg - I just refuse to put up anything until at the earliest the wknd before xmas - so prob on 17th this year. For one thing if you have a real tree then it would be stinkin by new years if you put it up any earlier!
Yes saw some houses fully decorated this day last week - not sure how they afford the electricity bill for over a month of outside mad lights!!
I am very much a bah humbug with regard to all this - it really does ruin xmas if everything is done to early - for me anyway. I refuse to even think about buying presents etc until at the earliest 1 Dec. Sorry getting into letting off steam territory!

Put up the tree ect last sunday, will do the outside lights @ the weekend.

Put the tree up last weekend (2nd Dec).

3 years ago, the tree was still up in February !

I love Christmas.

this weekend. two years ago all the christmas lights got tangled up. ( they were put away seperately ok) trying to put them on the tree they got all mixed up and in trying to be clever Cu pushed them all to the ground and lifted the tree off them.in order to start again. absolute disaster. spend hours untangling them including taking off the plugs etc. in the end it became like therapy and I actually thought that it would a great game. untangle the knots or something like that. hours of fun. I love those little cherry lights but if they dont light up its unreal trying to find the missing one . see the ESB , those stalwarts of conservation, have an add on telly more or less advising us to throw alway our old lights and buy new energy efficient ones. nothing wrong with new ones but throwing away old ones isn't very constructive in a world already gone mad on consumerism.

But if you don't throw away the old ones, you'll be tempted to put them on the tree as well as the new ones. Unless you just keep them for tangling and untangling therapy.

on the subject of lights noticed in atlantic homecare today they were selling 4 spare bulbs for 3.25. but the set of 35 was only €8. logical to buy a full set and then you would have enough spares to last for 5/6 years or until you got totally pissed of with that set.