when to install doors/stairs & varnishing?

Abbica

Hi, not sure on the stages here, I just asked the man to deliver our doors, architrave, skirting and stairs as we want to get started on sanding and varnishing them. Thought we would set up a production line and get cracking at it. He said to get someone in to do it, get it sprayed with a varnish lacquer, a much better finish as no drips and everything will be evenly finished off? Probably a few hundred dearer than a painter but quality is worth it. We are undecided about doing it ourselves and just get someone in to do this job. Finances are real tight but do you think we should just borrow a wee bit more off the bank and be done with it?

Can I also ask, he said you can put in your stairs first but our plastering isn't fully done yet/upstairs to do yet and paint? Do we put in the wooden floor first before the stairs and architrave/doors etc or can you put in the architrave etc first? What stages do we put stuff in? Also, heating not in the house yet but will be in 6 weeks when the ESB connects us. Thanks

Don't install any of it until your plastering is finished and dried out - at least three weeks after plastering is complete.

It's summer, so the heating shouldn't really be an issue.

Re your first question, if finances are tight, just do it yourself. Assuming you're competent with a brush.

Hi

We just installed our stairs in the last 2 weeks. Concrete floors downstairs, so post for stairs needed to be secured directly into the concrete floor. We then had our flooring for hall laid which is porcelain tiles. Skirting and architrave not in yet. We intend to get walls painted and wooden floors down before skirting,architrave and doors installed. Floors should definitely go down before skirting and architrave imo.

Thanks for the advice. So get the place plastered first, then get stairs in but leave the rest until floors are done. Why do i have to wait for the plaster to dry out before we get the stairs in? Plastering in the hall should be done in the next fortnight and the stairs are due to arrive then. Should I put off on the delivery of the stairs for a further month perhaps and just get the doors and architrave delivered so I can start to varnish those??

We got the stairs installed several months after plastering and heating had been on to make sure the house was fairly dry so that there would be no warping of the wood. The floors were installed during the same time. We varnished everything ourselves although it took a lot more time, it saves that extra few hundred when money is stretched.

The stairs will absorb the moisture from the drying out of the plaster, they will creak and drive you mad. We waited for months after plastering before we got stairs installed. We sanded and varnished them 5 times and then we covered them up with cardboard whislt other work was being done.

Secman

Well, one thing is for sure, can't wait months as want to be by August/have to be in!! So, perhaps put off the delivery of the stairs and get other stuff delivered, start on that instead. Thanks for the help.