When to get survey done

S

Surveyor12

Hi

I am just wondering when to get a survey done.
I have had an offer accepted on a 2nd hand house.The bank have sent their valuer out and I have a loan offer. My solicitor has not yet received contracts. Closing supposedly in June. When should I organise a surveyor please?

TEchnically, you dont have to get a survey, if you dont want to. But you would want to be careless not too!. Seems to me that now would be a good time. Dont leave it late, in case you discover structural problems with your property - might save yourself a few bob. Got one done a couple of years ago, cost me about €200

how second hand is it.
if its a newish house with no obvious cracks/leaks, woodworm and all the windows close , heating works and the toilets flush without flooding the back yard, a survey is a waste of your money. if its an older house, there might be some hidden horrors and in that case getting a survey gives you some peace of mind. or someone to sue if its a disaster.

Thanks all, built circa 1988. House looks in good nick outside
I am useless at anything house-wise, will a survey show up things like, the heating boiler potential problems, roof etc?

I think its way too presumtious to state that any relatively new house without any immediately noticeable defects is structurally sound - especially with the low low standard of builds these days.

If a house is in the early stages of subsidence for example, there will be only minor cracks around the place - leave it to the surveyor to determine if any minor cracks are merely due to plaster drying out or are they caused by a structural issue (e.g. no matter how small the crack if it appears on both sides of the wall you've got trouble). Lets say it is a relatively new house with an attic conversion - are you clued in enough to make the call as to whether the conversion was done correctly and has not weakened the strucuture (true a structural engineer would be best here but a surveyor will know if you need to call one in)?

Even if you reckon the survey is not going to find much (though you would be surprised) ask yourself is it worth skimping on the €350 inc vat which it will cost nowadays (search for the other recent thread on this). As a percentage of your overall investment it is tiny and the peace of mind it provides will be worth it.

If I was you I would be going for the survey straight away - if the sellers stall the appointment with the surveyor its a good indication theyre not serious or are trying to delay things, either way its good to know sooner rather than later.

If there are any additions or unusual planning aspects to the property, its worth waiting for the contracts to issue before arranging for the survey - the contracts should show details of any planning applications, exemptions, unauthorised developments etc.,etc. which will assist the surveyor.

I'm inclined to advise clients always to wait for contracts to issue anyway before arranging a survey - if there are other issues ( e.g.title, marital, taxation) that may make the purchase impractical, they will save the cost of the survey. That can be awkward though if there is a tight closing date.

mf

Thanks all, I think I will wait until I see contract then

Good advice from mf and should be a key post.

Estate agents have a habit of bustling purchasers into surveying as soon as an offer is accepted - simply because it gives the agent reassurance that he/she won't have to do any more work if it's clear.

There is no benefit to the purchaser in surveying early. So unless you are in a hurry to close you should hold off until the solicitor gives you the thumbs-up on receipt of the contracts.

Back