When to defrost turkey?

Rois

I have a frozen turkey this year (it was cheaper). Does anyone know how long I should leave it out to defrost? Should I defrost it in the fridge or at room temperature? It's a medium sized turkey with giblets.

Thanks - i looked on google and so many different versions i got confused. Also some saying you shouldn't put stuffing in a (defrosted) frozen turkey? Is this also the case please?

how big is it? you need 24 hours for every 4-5 pounds of turkey. mixed reviews on the stuffing but you can make it seperate in the oven and it is still yum. defrost it in the fridge because at room temp bacteria will start to grow

I dont see why you can't or not suppost to put stuffing in a defrosted bird.I often did it with chicken.no problem.

It's 11 lbs, so I should defrost in fridge tonight or tomorrow (going by 24 hours for every 4-5 pounds). I always stuff chickens, but read that it's not good to stuff turkeys that have been previously frozen.

I have no room in the fridge to defrost our 22LB tukey it is heaving with all the other goodies I have turned off the radiator in the coldest room in the house and will defrost it there. I will let you know if we are all alive after Christmas day.

My dustin is defrosting now - still wondering if I should stuff him or not? Hope to hear from your after Xmas Hans!!

If you have purchased a frozen bird, it must be fully defrosted before cooking. Never cook from frozen. The safest way to defrost a bird is in the fridge. Place it onto the bottom shelf, making sure it cannot drip onto any other foods. Allow at least 24 hours defrosting for every 4/5lbs (2/2.5kg) of weight.

As quoted from this website: [broken link removed]

Just wondering ......Why do one have to stuff a turkey .... Would it not make sense to cook stuffing separately on a different shelf at same time as when cooking turkey ..........Has the poor turkey not been through enough without been stuffed as well ??