When getting married, does my spouse automatically take on my debt under Irish law?

munchy

I want to know how my future spouse will be affected by my mortgage arrears and debt when we get married? We have a prenup/ante-nuptial contract but it was drawn up abroad as we got married overseas. Im not sure of Irelands marriage laws (in community of property I assume?)
If we are legally two separate entities in terms of our liability (in the eyes of overseas courts) then is it possible that they will not be affected by my debt problems?
I just got married very recently and they may end up wanting to get a loan or mortgage in the future (well, to buy a property may take a number of years yet, but they have some savings towards an eventual deposit) but since I have been having ongoing problems with my mortgage and personal finances I dont them to be affected or liable in any way. They are actually working abroad at the moment whilst I stay here with good friends, and so a decision about whether we settle here will also depend on our ability to start over again (amongst other factors like finding work etc)
Thanks for any advice

My understanding of this is that your spouse will not be liable to pay any of your debts, however it could affect future credit applications in spouse's name as the bank/mortgage provider may wish to ensure that any family home purchased is in both names.

Back